Can my business be exempted from MTD for VAT?
Close to a million businesses that were previously exempt from MTD - as their turnover was below £85,000 - must comply with the regulations from April 2022.
The only VAT registered businesses who can apply for an exemption from Making Tax Digital for VAT from April 2022 are those businesses who cannot reasonably or practically use computers, software or the internet. This may be because:
- of your age;
- of a disability;
- you are running your business from a remote geographical location;
- you object to using computers on religious grounds; or
- of any other reason why it’s not reasonable or practical.
Making Tax Digital for small businesses
Our comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT as a small business owner.
- Introduction to Making Tax Digital
- A closer look at MTD for VAT requirements
- How to sign up to MTD for VAT
- MTD for VAT: key dates for your business
- Making Tax Digital exemptions
- Making Tax Digital penalties
- Choosing the right MTD software for your business
- A closer look at MTD bridging software
- Using Xero’s MTD software