Our policy and principles
Xero actively supports diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We recognise that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. As a result, our diversity work has been led by a Head of Diversity, Inclusion and Community since 2017.
Our approach to diversity and inclusion is summed up in our key principles:
We value diversity because it reflects and serves our customers and ensures our people thrive.
We’re all accountable to create an inclusive culture.
We’re committed to attracting diverse talent and hiring fairly.
We support flexible ways of working.
- We’re committed to equal pay for equal work.
- We have an obligation to champion diversity and inclusion in the community.
Creating an inclusive work environment
We know diversity is important but it is through inclusion that we really tap into the potential and power of our differences. Inclusion means all Xeros have a sense of belonging and fairness, feel valued and respected, and can play their part in creating business success.
Some examples of the ways we create an inclusive work environment include:
- promoting flexible working options and achieving a highly commended recognition in the Diversity Works work/life balance category in New Zealand
- delivering training on topics including diversity, inclusion and bias awareness
- running surveys to capture feedback on the extent to which employees feel that Xero is an inclusive workplace
- running awareness events and workshops on mental health and wellbeing
- expanding our definition of sick leave and positioning it as ‘wellbeing leave’ to encourage our people to look after their overall health and wellbeing
- having ‘welcome messages’ displayed in the Xero offices in Auckland and Wellington rotate through the 50+ languages spoken by Xero employees
- being a member of the Australian Network on Disability and signing up to the Government’s Disability Confident Scheme in the United Kingdom
- developing an internal ‘Welcome to and Acknowledgement of Country’ guide to support indigenous awareness in Australia
- celebrating our cultural diversity through various initiatives including shared cultural celebrations and lunches
Gender diversity at Xero
At Xero, focusing on gender diversity has always been a priority for us as we’re keen to get more women into the tech sector, ensure we have a good balance of females across our management levels, and remove any roadblocks to gender equality in all aspects of life at Xero. We know this drives better business outcomes not only for Xero but for our small business partners and customers.
The following stats show the gender composition of the Xero board, leadership team, and employees as at 31 March 2019:
Xero Board – 43% female
Xero leadership team – 50% female
Xero employees – 42% female
We also think it’s important to shine a spotlight on and celebrate our female Xero customers and partners who are shaping the world of small business across the globe. This was a focus of our #pressforprogress campaign for International Women’s Day 2018 – watch our video.
Encouraging women into technology
We are committed to getting more women into the tech sector through a number of initiatives including:
- sponsorship and support of Code Like a Girl’s events, coding camps (kids and adults) and internship programmes
- hosting or sponsoring many events for girls and women in tech including; Tech Girls Movement, Girl Geek Dinners, GirlbossNZ Future CEO summits, Spirit and Soul, Data Girl Workshop and Finding Ada
- championing the development of STEM careers through initiatives including the Xero Vacation Program and Xero Graduate Program
- shining a spotlight on the importance of gender equality through International Women’s Day, running local events across our offices
Celebrating #BalanceforBetter with small business and tech leaders on International Women’s Day
Keeping the balance Kiwi style
Balance for better and what it means to us
Challenging expectations is the true meaning of International Women’s Day
Balance and belonging on IWD2019
Collaborating to create #balanceforbetter
Hiring for diversity
We use diverse channels to hire staff, including:
- using General Assembly to reach diverse candidates
- piloting an internship with Specialisterne, an organisation which supports employment of people on the autism spectrum
- hiring through non traditional pathways including the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre in Australia and the New Zealand Red Cross’s Pathways to Employment programme – read their story
- participating in the TupuToa internship programme in New Zealand
See how we support employment for people from under-represented groups in the community. Check out the Xero careers page for more details about working at Xero.
Increasing LGBTI inclusion and awareness
At Xero, we want to create a culture of belonging, where differences not only exist but where they are respected, supported and fully celebrated. It’s about ensuring our people can be their authentic self, and flourish in an environment where they feel accepted and know they belong. LGBTI awareness and support is an important part of creating an inclusive culture at Xero.
We undertake a number of initiatives to promote LGBTI awareness at Xero:
- Xero is a member of Pride in Diversity in Australia and Stonewall in the United Kingdom.
- Xero has achieved the Rainbow Tick in New Zealand in recognition of our inclusive workplace.
- We provide LGBTI awareness and education across some of our offices.
- We provide an option in our internal personnel system for employees to update their pronoun preferences.
- Xero supports employee participation in local pride parades and do so under the Xero banner.
We are actively building out programmes that engage and contribute to thriving communities, such as our employee volunteering...
Find out more
We are always looking to deliver new initiatives, improving on our environmental and sustainability efforts, and developing a roadmap...
Find out more
Our purpose at Xero is to have a positive impact on the lives of people in small business, their advisors and communities around the world...
For Xero, building a fast-growing but sustainable business means taking responsibility for our social and environmental impact...