Got a few questions before you apply? Contact us.
Developer - Platform Engineering
Development | Wellington, New Zealand
Our Platform Engineering teams are looking for talented software developers in Wellington. We need someone to help us move forward and stay ahead of the curve. This is a fantastic opportunity to step up - we deal with billions of requests each day, and there are very few roles of this scale in New Zealand.
About the team:
Xero’s Platform Engineering group is responsible for building and maintaining critical applications and services consumed throughout Xero globally. We write services central to keeping Xero online and scaling to millions of customers.
We’re a team that enjoys putting on a lot of different hats; our typical technical work is a mix of software development, architecture, and infrastructure as code. We’ve worked hard to make the process of delivering and supporting our code as frictionless as possible.
We pride ourselves in our emphasis on software performance and scalability, our desire to innovate and improve the way we work, and our commitment to writing quality software.
How you’ll make an impact:
You’ll help us scale to meet the demands of a million-plus global customers and you’ll help decide on the tools and approaches we use. At Xero, continuous improvement is something we focus on each and every day. We’re all about rapid release cycles, continuous integration and delivery.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Develop robust, high quality software to meet the agreed specifications and in line with our development team standards and procedures.
- Assist product architects and product specialists with the design and prototyping of software. Your technical solutions and ideas will contribute to the team backlog and help drive the platform to service the needs of other product teams.
- Work with your team to build a culture of constant improvement and increased automation
- Maintain current knowledge of Microsoft, AWS and other development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Identify and promote opportunities to extend and enhance our solutions and Xero’s development standards.
- Give and receive honest constructive feedback
- Most importantly, have fun on this journey
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for technology and continuous improvement, and enjoys a collaborative approach to software development. We also value someone who can share that knowledge and grow other people in the team.
We’d love to talk to you if you have a mix of some of the core skills below. You don’t need to know everything - having some of these areas of expertise is great and we can teach you the rest.
- C#, .NET, and software development best practices
- AWS or other cloud services
- Continuous integration and deployment practices
- Building and monitoring scalable platforms
- A passion to explore and use new technology/approaches to solve problems
- Working with Linux
- ASP.NET, MVC & APIs
- Familiarity with Test-Driven Development/Behaviour-Driven Development
Why you should become a Xero:
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
If this sounds like a team and company you’d like to be a part of, apply today!
** This position is not for graduates. If you wish to become a grad at Xero, please apply for the NZ Xero grad programme: xero.com/graduate