Practice Manager allows a tax or BAS agent to lodge activity statements and tax returns to the ATO. You will need to create a tax agent in Practice Manager. Depending on what type of returns you will be lodging, this may require some additional setup and registration with the ATO.
Key Learning Points
- Every agent who files activity statements and company, trust or partnership returns to the ATO, must be linked to a Device AUSkey in Practice Manager.
- Every agent who files Individual tax returns with the ATO, must have an electronic lodgement service (ELS) profile information assigned to them in Practice Manager.
- To set up an agent in Practice Manager, you may have to complete some or all of the following steps:
- Add a Device AUSkey to Practice Manager (for company, trust and partnership returns, and activity statements)
- Add an ELS profile to Practice Manager (for individual tax returns)
Tips & Tricks
- Link an agent to a client to create and lodge tax returns on their behalf.
- Add your tax agent information to Xero Tax (Xero Help Centre)
- Set up an agent to use Cloud software authentication and authorisation (CAA) to lodge SBR forms (Xero Help Centre)
- Enrol in the electronic lodgement services (ELS) (Australian Taxation Office website)
- Set up a client to lodge tax returns on their behalf (Xero Help Centre)
What should I do now?
- If you want to file activity statements, company tax, trust or partnership returns in Practice Manager, then register for an Administrator AUSkey and a Device AUSkey on the Australian Business Register website.
- If you want to file individual tax returns in Practice Manager, then enrol for ELS on the Australian Taxation Office website.
- Add an agent in Practice Manager.
- Proceed to the next tutorial in Section 4.