Got a few questions before you apply? Contact us.
Development | Canberra, Australia
Small business makes the world go round - it’s the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want our millions of Xero subscribers to thrive through better tools, information and connections. Because if small business succeeds jobs are created, economies thrive, and communities prosper. That’s good for everyone.
A global SaaS (software as a service) company we have a team of 2,000 Xeros doing beautiful work across our 17 offices across the globe. We’re ranked No. 1 by Forbes as the World's Most Innovative Growth Company two years running, Glassdoor named us one of the top 15 best SaaS companies in the world, and Canstar Blue ranked us Australia’s best accounting software company for four consecutive years (2015-2018).
About the role
You will be working in close collaboration with the Product Manager and Architects to realise the product and architectural vision.
As the Engineering Manager the focus of your role will be to provide both team and technical leadership. You will work within the Payroll team here in Canberra and you’ll build great software development teams by:
- Utilising your leadership experience to assist with successfully building several new high performing and engaged teams, while also promoting a safe environment for people to experiment, learn and grow during this exciting time.
- Ensuring there is a clear shared vision for engineering within the Payroll team, and a roadmap on how to get there. This aligns with Xero’s global engineering vision and engineers believe in this vision and know how they contribute to reaching this goal.
- Leveraging off your engineering experience to mentor teams to build quality software
- Work closely with the cross -functional team to cultivate a fun, rewarding, agile and results-driven culture that will live and breathe our Xero values
- Working closely with other leaders in the teams to deliver quality software and services that support the product vision and technical roadmap across the wider business.
- Owning processes and practices that enable the team to successfully develop, support and maintain our solutions
- attracting, recruiting and retaining capable individuals, building on and complementing the diversity of our teams;
- championing and driving processes and practices that makes it possible for engineers to get great work done, while promoting a safe environment for people to experiment and learn;
- role-modelling exemplary leadership, supporting and growing the next generation of engineering leaders at Xero.
We are looking for someone with a passion for building great products. Just as important as the technical experience, is the ability to be #human and take ownership of your environment. We are so lucky to have excellent people to work with and offices to work in and we'd love you to be a part of it.
So for you to be successful as Xero’s next Engineering Manager you'll ideally have some experience in:
- Leading engaged and high performing software development teams while working on software delivery projects at scale.
- Utilising your passion for modern software development practices and keenness to use Agile methodologies to ensure your teams are operating in the most effective and efficient way through the utilisation of resource, information and communication.
- Balancing, communicating and prioritising the needs of individuals, your teams and the business as a whole.
- Coaching and Mentoring varied cross functional teams with the focus of learning and ownership within your team while being able to offer the right knowledge, at the right time, in the right way.
- Demonstrating leadership through the provision of objectives and goals with loose guidelines and directions through clear communication of expectations. And having an open mind regarding flexibility and new ideas.
- Keeping your team’s vision and values at the forefront of decision making and actions. While making this a priority to the wider team and their day-to-day behaviours and activities.
Xero is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, foster innovation and reward success.
If you want to come to work with friends every single day and help to make Xero even more special, please apply