Got a few questions before you apply? Contact us.
IT/Operations | Auckland or Wellington, New Zealand
Who are we?
At Xero, we are rewiring the small business economy and want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice, and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable for small business owners, and more enjoyable too.
What’s the job?
Xero is looking for an energetic and highly motivated DevOps engineer in the “Security - Identity and Access” team in the Auckland Office. Our team is part of the larger Security team and we work closely with the Security Engineering, Architecture and Risk teams.
As the team name suggests, we provide Identity and Access Management for all of Xero’s Platform and Production systems through our amazing tools and services. Our team’s purpose is to “Enable the right individuals to access the right resources at the right time for the right reasons.”
We pick and choose the best tools and vendors available on the market to provide five star services to our internal Xero developers and engineers, and if we can’t achieve something with external systems, we build our own tools.
We live and breathe cloud and automation and you will help build the team’s technical capability to design, plan, improve and operate mission critical - Identity and Access Management related - security services.
You may be an Infrastructure/Security Engineer who has fallen in love with code or a software developer who loves Security and Infrastructure, either way, works for us!
You’ll need to be passionate about learning new technologies, enthusiastic about sharing knowledge, experience, and trying new things!
Our team is spread across two sites in NZ (Auckland and Wellington) so you will need to be comfortable working in a team that interacts with each other online a lot. Our team not only provides great services and tools but also handles lots of service requests so you will have to be confident and comfortable dealing with our stakeholders globally on a regular basis.
What do you need to be a great Identity (DevOps) Engineer at Xero?
- Experience with managing and automating Cloud infrastructure, specifically AWS (CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
- Familiarity with agile software development methods
- Practical experience with source control systems
- Successful track record of providing tooling and support for multiple development teams and/or large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux administration and network engineering
- Experience providing five star 1st and 2nd level support using a ticketing system
- A strong desire to automate processes, build tooling, and create infrastructure-as-code solutions
- Experience with common networking protocols and services including TCP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, and LDAP
- Exceptional troubleshooting and analytical abilities
- Practical experience with CI/CD systems (AWS CodePipeline, AWS CodeDeploy, TeamCity, Jenkins, etc.)
- Have a passion and enthusiasm towards security
- A collaborative approach - keen to share your tools, openly share knowledge and help others
- Ability to adapt and learn in a fast-paced environment
Bonus points if you have:
- Serverless Framework and Lambda automation experience is a big plus
- Practical experience with container-based application development
- Familiarity with Hubot and Slack
- Practical experience with Active Directories
- Experience working with SaaS/non-SaaS Identity Providers (ADFS, OKTA, OneLogin, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, SaltStack, Ansible, Powershell DSC, etc.)
- Experience with Monitoring and SIEM tools in AWS space (DataDog, NewRelic, SumoLogic)
What do we offer?
The opportunity to be part of a growing global success story; a fun, fast-paced work environment and a relaxed, supportive team. A competitive salary, shares in the company and a great office environment including endless table tennis matches, impromptu happy hours, amazing coffee, free fruits and a stunning location situated in Parnell, Auckland.
This is a great opportunity for someone to make the role their own while developing their career in an innovative organisation that loves delivering excellence.
If you’d love to work with us send your resume/CV and cover letter using the link below!