If you currently have a system where all your client and contact details are stored, consider the option of importing them into Practice Manager. First, determine if it is possible to export client information from your current system. Then use the exported file to manipulate the data and to prepare a CSV file for import.
This is also a good opportunity to clean out your current database. Remove old and obsolete client records, so that you can start with a fresh new list of active clients in Practice Manager.
Key Learning Points
- Currently, it is possible to import up to 500 rows of data at a time. If you have more than 500 client records, you will have to create multiple CSV files and perform multiple imports.
- If a client has multiple contacts, you have to duplicate the client record in the import file for each contact that you want to import.
- If multiple clients have the same contact, then the contact record will be created multiple times. This is how Practice Manager currently handles a contact that is linked to more than one client.
- The client group will automatically be created in Practice Manager, if it does not exist prior to the import.
- Custom fields will not be created if they don't exist in Practice Manager. You have to make sure they have been created prior to importing custom field information.
- The headings for the custom fields you have created must be constructed as follows: client+[.]+[field name], for example client.Lawyer
Tips & Tricks
- Clean out your current database. Remove old and obsolete client records, so that you can start with a fresh new list of active clients in Practice Manager.
- If you are planning to use NZ Tax in Practice Manager, then use the the sample file with tax to import your client information.
What should I do now?
- Download the relevant import file, with or without tax, and copy your client records into the template.
- Do not edit column headings
- Add custom fields to the import file. Remember to apply the correct heading structure.
- Ensure Business Structures match the settings in Practice Manager
- Ensure staff under Client Partner and Manager have been set up in Practice Manager.
- You may consider cleaning up your current client database in the import file.
- Delete old and obsolete records and data.
- Add missing records and data.
- Upload file into Practice Manager, and check the import results.
- Proceed to Step 6: Customise practice settings.