Got a few questions before you apply? Contact us.
GM, Legal and Business Advisory
Business Services | Denver, United States
Small business makes the world go around – it’s the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
How you’ll make an impact
Working closely with the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel as a key member of the legal leadership team and the regional leadership team (with dotted-line reporting to the regional managing director), the GM Legal & Commercial Advisory is responsible for providing legal and commercial leadership and strategic oversight across their local region.
Leading a team of in-house Legal Counsels, this role will ensure the Legal team is partnering effectively with the business and providing robust legal advice in relation to legal matters affecting the organisation. Where appropriate this role will represent the organisation as well as ensuring that all operations of the organisation are compliant with relevant legislation. Depending on the audience, the title of Associate General Counsel may also be used.
This role will work closely with the wider global legal team, external advisors, and strategic partners to support and own Xero’s legal and regulatory functions in the region, with potential to support Xero’s regional policy and government relations function.
What you’ll do
- Lead a strong, high performing, legal team
- Be a trusted strategic adviser to the regional leadership team on all legal related matters
- Work with the regional leadership team and Xero’s global legal team to identify and proactively manage Xero’s legal and regulatory function in your local region
- Lead your team to work as an integrated part of the global legal team to provide legal services on global or platform matters including procurement, product support, customer support and security
- Drive proactively, or help manage, within the global legal team, projects to manage workflow, improve operational efficiency, achieve global and regional education and training, and enable compliance
- Liaise and collaborate with legal team peers in all areas and regions, including regulatory, IP and government relations, to deliver holistic legal function outcomes in all relevant regions
- Coach and lead you regional legal team to be a high performing, highly engaged and cohesive function
- Work closely with Xero’s commercial team in your region to help drive strategic relationships and initiatives for Xero both locally and globally;
- Providing advice to management on legal aspects of their defined areas
- Manage regional, non-intellectual property disputes and litigation
- Interpreting legal documentation and advising management on the most appropriate course of action
- Review, negotiate, and draft key legal documents, such as accounting channel partner agreements, agreements with financial institutions, and supply agreements
- Ensuring the business is informed of and compliant with relevant existing or proposed legislation
- Leading or delivering legal M&A activity in region
- Liaising with and managing Xero’s external legal advisors as required.
Success looks like
- Regional legal team seen as trusted advisors/partners within the organization
- Highly engaged and performing team
- Organizational operations are compliant with relevant legislation
- Regional legal team closely aligned to the global legal team
- Delivery of key projects and commercially-focussed legal outcomes
What you’ll bring with you
- Strong analysis and interpretation skills
- Strong commercial acumen and pragmatic approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously
- Ability to take a proactive and creative approach to managing/solving legal issues
- Collaborative, growth and innovation mindset
- 10-15+ years PQE (3+ years in-house legal experience)
- Experience leading commercial/legal high performing teams
- Experience providing legal advice to companies in the technology sector
- Experience negotiating & drafting agreements in a commercial context
It’s time to introduce yourself
Now that we’ve caught your attention, it’s time to catch ours. Please send us your resume if you:
Are passionate about selling into the emerging online accounting market and creating a #beautiful accounting experience to current and future Accounting Partners.
Show your passion for the #human side of sales through cultivating a deep understanding of the needs of your customers and how Xero can best improve their business.
Seek the #challenge of complex problems, crazy-smart collaborators and a fast-paced/high growth work environment.
#Champion sales thinking by bringing a unique point of view while inspiring impeccable quality from others.
Take #ownership by driving meaningful change and deliver results with passion and purpose.
Xero is an Equal Opportunity Employer