Got a few questions before you apply? Contact us.
Senior Data Scientist
Development | Auckland or Wellington, New Zealand
Who is Xero?
Small business makes the world go round – it’s the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
About the role
Data in Xero is recognised as a critical asset, it provides competitive advantage, delivers credible insights, supports new areas of innovation and is used to increase the efficiency of internal processes.
The CARMA (Customer Acquisition and Revenue Management Analytics) team’s main goal is to help drive Xero’s accelerated growth by using the information hidden in the vast amounts of our data to make smarter decisions in running our business. We make data available to a wide range of information consumers and stakeholders to drive Xero’s accelerated growth using data mining techniques, automation, advanced analytics, visualisations, predictive modelling and machine learning.
As a Senior Data Scientist team you will work on tough problems, mentor others and take the technical lead on projects. You’ll make sure we make the best of our data sources to better understand and predict user behaviours and that our data and insights are accurate, available, discoverable, understandable and accessible to all stakeholder teams.
What you’ll do
- Be a major contributor to and advocate for Xero’s data driven culture by ensuring active collaboration and alignment between our regional, product, data and automation teams.
- Use a range of simple and advanced data science techniques to understand specific business opportunities and challenges. This will include understanding the business, data mining, data management, descriptive and predictive analytics, machine learning and visualisation
- Collaborate across Xero to deliver live models that drive value to the product teams and internal stakeholders, and help in the architecture and evolution of our operational modeling environment.
- Design, prototype and evaluate algorithms to solve business problems.
- Be up to date with leading data science and analytic innovation & applications and provide insight to the team and the the wider Xero analytics community.
- Take a mentoring role in guiding the rest of the team, on statistical approaches and their application, to ensure that there is continuous investment in the team’s development and learning.
- Make sure we have clear insights on our business performance - past, present and future.
What you’ll bring with you
- Strong experience in a variety of (but not necessarily all) data science competencies, such as data wrangling, using data science to run experiments, building models to understand and predict behaviour and sharing results in a compelling way.
- Demonstrate experience in analysing large complex datasets using machine learning methods
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, SQL etc.
- Strong leadership capabilities with a love of learning from others as well as coaching and mentoring staff to build expertise and solve big data problems, preferably in an eCommerce and Financial environments.
- Skilled in data integration and data visualisation
- A mixed skill set of maths and statistics, programming, soft skills and visualisation skills - all wrapped up with some business nous.
- The ability to articulate complex technical information to people from a variety of skill sets
- Genuine satisfaction for unravelling the root of complex issues and innovating with data and analytics to create value.