It is highly recommended that you invoice out as much WIP as possible in your old system before migrating across to Practice Manager. If you still have unbilled WIP, then you can prepare CSV files to import jobs and WIP balances.
Key Learning Points
- Group your jobs according to job template, job category and current state and create one CSV file for each grouping.
- If a client does not exist in Practice Manager, it will automatically be created during the import routine.
- It is not possible to re-import a file of jobs to update existing jobs. If you re-import a file, you will get an error notification about duplicate job numbers.
Tips & Tricks
- To pick up the description from the job template, leave the Description column in the import file blank.
- The Client Order Number is useful if you want this job to be associated with repeating invoices in Xero, otherwise leave it blank in the import file.
What should I do now?
- If you have no jobs and no WIP to import, then you can skip ahead to Create recurring jobs.
- If you want to import jobs, start by identifying the jobs, and group them according to job template, job category and current state.
- Create one CSV file per grouping, for example AA-compliance-inprogress.CSV
- Import files one at a time.
- Check imported jobs
- Proceed to the next tutorial: Import WIP balances.