We use cookies to make your experience better. By using xero.com, you accept our cookie notice terms.

Brought to you by

Why now is a great time to try new reports in Xero

Posted 1 month ago in Product by Anna Curzon
Posted by Anna Curzon

Last year, we announced that we had started upgrading the technology that underpins the Xero platform, so our teams can build new features faster than ever before. Today, we’re excited to share that we’ve hit a significant milestone on that project when it comes to reporting in Xero.

We’ve had two versions of our reports for a while now — the older version and our ‘new’ reports. Our new reports now have some really exciting features that will help you get quick access to answers and streamline your financial analysis.

But we’re not done yet. Our teams have big plans to add even more reports and functionality in the future. To do this, they really need to focus their attention on new reports, instead of spending their time maintaining older versions that are now outdated.

We’re retiring the older versions of our reports

That’s why we’re retiring the older versions of our reports in Xero. This means you won’t be able to use them from 31 July 2023.

You’ll have access to older versions of our reports until they are retired. After this date:

• you won’t be able to run any older versions of our reports
  • any saved drafts of old reports will be removed from Xero
  • you will have read-only access to old published and archived reports

For Australian and New Zealand partners:

• you will not be able to create or edit old report packs in Xero HQ, or run them in your clients’ organisations
  • any published or archived report packs in clients’ organisations will remain as read-only at the client level

There are some reports that won’t be retired on this date, as we are upgrading them in a different way or at a later date. These include the Budget Manager, Business Performance Dashboard, Payrun, Payroll, Tax, GST Reconciliation reports, and the Reporting API.

We recognise that for some of you, this is a big change and it will take some time to get used to new reports. That’s why we’re giving you plenty of time to make the switch, so you can do it at a time of year that suits you — such as a quieter period, or the start of the new financial year.

How we’re supporting you during the transition

Our customer research shows us that once people give new reports a try, they love them. But we’ll be introducing lots of resources over the next year to support you. These include:

• regular live webinars from our education team (register for upcoming webinars now)
  • quick links in older versions of our most used reports that will make it easy to switch
  • a product tour in the new Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet reports
  • a tips and tricks panel in our most used reports with support articles and how-to videos
  • a new tool to help you bring saved layouts from older versions into new Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet reports (we’ll let you know more details as soon as this is available)

Start unlocking more value from your reports

All of our new reports are built with Xero customers in mind. The Xero community requested and voted for many of the enhancements, and we’ve tested them with small businesses and advisors, who tell us they love the improved flexibility and customisation.

Things have changed a lot in new reports over the past year. So if you haven’t given them a try lately, it’s a good time to take another look. Here’s what you can expect:

• A beautiful report centre where you can search or scroll to find new reports and add them to your favourites
  • An extensive range of reports and common layouts to help you get quick access to answers when you need them most
  • Standardised formats and intuitive menus so you can explore different ways of looking at your data in just a few clicks
  • Powerful customisation tools that help you tailor the content and layout of your reports to your unique needs
  • The ability to add, hide or reorder columns, group or sort data in different ways, and use filtering options to find what you’re looking for
  • Features to help you streamline your financial analysis within Xero, including formulas, schedules, switch rules, notes and more

As you can see, there’s plenty of value to discover in our new reports right now. But our teams are working hard to build on this even further in the months ahead.

Soon, we’ll be adding more reports into Xero — including General Ledger, Journal and Bank Reconciliation reports — as well as introducing foreign currency into new reports. We’re also planning a new feature that will let you quickly apply your favourite layouts to multiple organisations.

It’s time to jump in and give new reports a try

If you’re not sure how to get started, we suggest opening the new Profit and Loss report in Xero. There’s a handy product tour in there that will guide you through the new layouts and settings, so you can feel more confident about giving new reports a try.

We’ve also made it easy for you to provide feedback — just click the ‘feedback’ button in the tips and tricks panel in the new Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet or Account Transactions reports and share your thoughts. This feedback will help our teams understand how we can continue to improve your experience.

I hope you love new reports as much as we do, and look forward to hearing how they offer the insights you need to help your business or practice thrive.

50 comments

Kevin
July 12, 2022 at 12.39 pm

Xero need to stop fiddling with things. Getting close to dumping this product and find something else.

James
July 12, 2022 at 1.07 pm

Progress is great, but the new P&L report is a dogs breakfast if you use tracking codes and multiple budgets and want to do comparisons. Will wait to see what the final product looks like but as a small business owner and CFO it feels like a step backwards.

Jonathan Amos
July 12, 2022 at 1.45 pm

What have you got against creating dedicated drop down menus for “Reports” and “Advanced” instead of lumping them together in a meaningless drop menu called Accounting which is so long it disappears below the bottom of the screen?

Kerry McKevitt
July 12, 2022 at 2.20 pm

Can you ensure that when reports are downloaded to Excel it is of the same quality as previous.

I have just reviewed the new reports and the formatting when downloaded to Excel is poor compared to the standard formatting of the current reports e.g. opens in excel in enlarged form and cell contents are not neatly sized to cell height and width.

Thank you.

Marion
July 12, 2022 at 7.57 pm

What is the significant milestone that you have hit? Have I not read the article properly, as I’m not sure what the exciting milestone for NEW reports is?

Xero in reply to Marion Xero
July 21, 2022 at 5.30 pm

Hi Marion, we believe our new reports have some really exciting features that will help you get quick access to answers and streamline your financial analysis. Please have a look and let us know what you think – and if you have any questions or need a hand, please get in touch with our support team. Thanks!

Neil wright
July 12, 2022 at 10.24 pm

Hate the new format

Michael
July 12, 2022 at 11.17 pm

The change to the P&L and most reports you have are terrible. You clearly have no idea about what Small business owners need.

As an example, why don’t my P&L templates (old version) move to the new P&L version – so now I have to rebuild them – absolute muppets.

Get better, be simpler and do the work – STOP changing shit unnecessarily!

Martin
July 22, 2022 at 9.41 pm

I agree.

Penny Taylor
July 13, 2022 at 12.42 pm

No, no, no. The old reports are perfect for what we do.
I hope it can still do all product that each customer purchases by date, by product, by quantity by company name of which we deal with the same company but different locations and need to have the exact detail of purchases for each of the companies stores in every different location.

Chris Clarke
July 13, 2022 at 12.44 pm

Hi the new P&L report appears to give no account of performance against budget. Is there a way we can do this?

Michael
July 13, 2022 at 12.53 pm

Do the new reports still allow export to Google Sheets? I had to revert to the old report for my P&L to be able to find that option.

Xero in reply to Michael Xero
July 26, 2022 at 12.20 pm

Yes, the new reports still exports to Google Sheets. You can find the Export button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. If you have any trouble, please get in touch with our support team so we can give you a hand. Thanks!

Tim Owens
July 13, 2022 at 1.02 pm

If you can make it possible to list a P&L by all items in a tracking category INDIVIDUALLY, then I will happily switch over. It’s easy to do this in the old reports. It really sold me on Xero back then, but you’re now removing the one feature that I have really been able to rave about to everyone who asks.

In the new reports I have to edit the layout and manually add a column for each tracking item. This is a pain, because I have to laboriously make a report, and then keep it updated for any new tracking items that get added. The new reports have “Select All” under each tracking category, but that just produces one column with them all added together. Can this be made to produce separate columns? Otherwise, the tracking categories are now much less useful, and much harder to … track.

sandra Harper
July 13, 2022 at 3.55 pm

I would like to see how Xero can improve to see a balance for when people prepay you
like you can click on there name or create a invoice and it pops up in my zero I have customers that pay every week or so and I can’t always know how much they are in credit
is there a way to do this or is this something you can remedy please it would be a great heap

Xero in reply to sandra Harper Xero
July 26, 2022 at 12.16 pm

Hi Sandra, thanks for your comment and your suggestion. We recommend you having a chat with our product experts by raising a ticket here because they will be able to answer your questions in more detail. Thanks!

James
July 13, 2022 at 6.18 pm

I would urge Xero to not turn off the old reporting system. We use it every day. It’s fast, easy to navigate for the work that we do with clients.

The other great thing about the old reports is you can set up a report with the parameters you like, bookmark it and it will work for any client file.

for example:

New reports are fine for certain things. But they are slow compared to the old reports.

Fairfax
July 13, 2022 at 7.57 pm

Just a quick comment – Does that mean the Balance sheet will not have a corresponding ledger code . In managing both P&L and Balance Sheet the addition of the account code is a significant benefit

Phil
July 13, 2022 at 9.44 pm

I knew this day would eventually come, but I just wanted to register with Xero yet again my displeasure at the direction you’re heading. Scrapping old things that work quickly and well to replace them with new things that are objectively slower to use and work less well, says a lot about the team that is designing Xero.

The new reports are great… if you have enormous amounts of time to spend hours customising them to how you like them. But in their stock form they are worse than the old reports and take longer to get the information you need.

This obsession with binning off the old for new shiny things permeates the whole product. The new bank screen is objectively worse in every regard and has been forced on us without an option. It adds literally nothing and looks worse. Why was a second of development time spent on this when basic features like “Running a supplier statement” is still missing from the product after over a decade.

Together with your constant huge prices increases I’m recommending Xero less and less often to clients nowadays. Pretty much anyone who asks I just put on Quickbooks, unless there’s a specific reason to use Xero. Yes, Quickbooks is worse, but it’s far cheaper and they actually improve the product over time. I can’t think of the last time Xero added something to the base package that I considered an improvement. Every new feature seems to come with another monthly fee, whilst the core program regresses.

I used to really like using Xero, thought it was a standout product. Recommended it to every client who asked about cloud accounting. Each change to the interface just makes it worse to use and you are now so far off the competition in pricing that I am honestly struggling to see how you’re going to manage to continue competing.

John
July 27, 2022 at 12.51 am

Couldn’t agree more with this. The new reports are awful to use and even worse to look at.

shannon king
July 13, 2022 at 11.50 pm

The old version trial balance is fine – The new one is unnecessarily complex and doesn’t provide transactions in the month and the new one is a YTD so we can’t compare which is ridiculous.

Tony Cook
July 14, 2022 at 1.24 am

I don’t like the new report formats, they are less concise, take up too much screen space, why can we not keep the existing reports ? Why send notifications from noreply email addresses for changes like this with minimal advance notice ? Not very impressed.

Nick Michaloski
July 14, 2022 at 6.09 am

I’m a BMO customer and I cannot get the feeds to update, it’s been a problem for quite sometime and I have 2 accounts, if you can’t fix the problem with BMO FEEDS I going to have to cancel both subscriptions and find another company to use.

shohei Kaya
July 14, 2022 at 8.18 am

Hopeless. It is worse. Xero always makes worse rather than improvement.

Aaron Angel
July 14, 2022 at 9.24 am

I only received notice today, July 13, that the old reports were going to be unavailable after July 31, 2022. Xero couldn’t even muster 30 days notice, not that that would be sufficient. Instead, we get a mere 18 days notice that we will lose functionality that remains critical to our reporting!

While the new reports are in many ways better than the old reports, the fact remains that Xero’s reporting continues to lack the flexibility we need. Because of this, we use the API to automate exporting reports from Xero and summarize the data outside of the application. However, the API uses old report layouts, which can only be updated using the old reports that are going away. These APIs do not appear to be deprecated, so what are we supposed to do? I can’t rewrite our solution in 18 days.

Yet again, Xero fails to think through critical issues their customers face. It’s still better than what Intuit provides, but only by a slim and ever-shrinking margin.

Xero in reply to Aaron Angel Xero
July 21, 2022 at 5.24 pm

Hi Aaron, old reports will be available until 31 July 2023 so next year not this year so hopefully plenty of time to get familiar with the new reports. If you need any help, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our support team. Thanks!

Gaylene Underwood
July 14, 2022 at 10.09 am

Hi, the new Accounts payable summary report doesn’t make sense. Why is the <1month column not the same as current? If I run the report as of today it puts all my invoices from 14 July back to 15 June in <1month and nothing in current? Old report would have all my July so far in current, all of June in June (1Month) and so forth. Please advise

Xero in reply to Gaylene Underwood Xero
July 21, 2022 at 5.23 pm

Hi Gaylene, sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with the new reports. Can you please raise a ticket with our support team so we can take a closer look at what you are experiencing to see how we can give you a hand. Thanks!

Charles Spain
July 14, 2022 at 10.51 am

If we do nothing can we assume that xero will still work for us

Xero in reply to Charles Spain Xero
July 21, 2022 at 5.21 pm

Yes Charles – Xero should still work for you. However, we do highly recommend that you take a look at the new reports so that you are familiar with them. If you have any questions, please get in touch with our support team. Thanks!

Suzanne Murphy
July 14, 2022 at 12.50 pm

I tried to use the new Aged Payable Detail Report for Creditors. Why are Invoices that have been marked as being paid included in this report? I have raised this issue before to no avail – this is why the new report doesn’t work for me for paying creditors and I use the old one. Can this be sorted (even add a filter option to exclude paid ones) before the old reports are retired as this is so frustrating.

Prince
July 14, 2022 at 9.10 pm

We are in the middle of the financial year and in as much as it makes it easy for your developers to not cater for the old versions my hope and prayer is that you would somehow leave the old templates in place . I have more than 50 organisations on my Xero profile and this is very much desastrous for me since this would mean for continuity I would have to copy the new version of reports which are useless to me onto the old ones ,thus doubling the work for me . The old versions exported onto Excel on a font that was much readable and clearer Excel format for me with underlining that was very much neat .

Xero in reply to Prince Xero
July 18, 2022 at 3.47 pm

Hi Prince, we’re not retiring the older versions of our reports in Xero until 31 July 2023 (next year).

Martin Hazell
July 15, 2022 at 12.51 am

You are providing too little time to recreate a significant number of custom reports built on old platform – why the tearing hurry?

Xero in reply to Martin Hazell Xero
July 18, 2022 at 3.45 pm

Hi Martin, the older versions of our reports in Xero will not be available from 31 July 2023 (next next) so you have just over a year to jump in and give new reports a try. Thanks!

Phil Thomas
July 15, 2022 at 8.18 am

Heya – I understand there’s loads of great new features in the new reports, and having played with them, I think I can get used to it. However – could you add the facility to have a ‘compact’ mode – which reduces padding and spacing? It’s the main thing I’m not keen on with the new reports – simply because I can’t see as much data on my screen in one go! Don’t think it would be hard for the devs – and would make adoption of the new reports a lot easier!

Thanks!

Seth Bell
July 15, 2022 at 4.42 pm

We don’t need all the hype – all we need is a list of old reports that will disappear on 31 July, can you please send to email address below. Thank you.

Becky Bayliss
July 18, 2022 at 8.53 pm

I also require a list of the old reports that are being archived. Please send to the email below.

Peter Jacobson
July 20, 2022 at 10.56 pm

Balance sheet: no issues, a neat & tidy report and I’m pleased to note the option to include a/c codes.

P&L: fine when in monthly reporting mode, but a mess when comparing business centres, primarily because while the current version fits nicely on my screen (under wide format) the new version is far too wide and I know that I’m going to get very bored very quickly with repeatedly scrolling left and right. Also, why include the “unassigned” column when it’s empty? There’s probably a way of hiding this but if so I can’t spot it.

Clare
July 21, 2022 at 1.51 pm

Hi
This is not a good innovation for our business, we are multi-stream organisation with funding from many sources, this does not allow me to breakdown spending to drawdown on a monthly basis from my balance sheet.
I would prefer to have access to the old report, more comprehensive and necessary for our organisation.
Would appreciate direct contact to discuss this.
regards Clare

Xero in reply to Clare Xero
July 21, 2022 at 4.49 pm

Hi Clare – if you’d like to discuss your feedback with us directly, please raise a ticket with our support team and we’ll be very happy to get in touch with you. Thanks!

Gregor
July 30, 2022 at 5.47 pm

Disappointing that current reports will be lost – simple/quick/well formatted.
Why not lock them down (unsupported) but still allow access for those who find the new format underwhelming?

Anna
August 1, 2022 at 5.03 pm

The new reports are just plain ugly. I haven’t used them much as yet but it’s not promising.

Laura Thompson
August 2, 2022 at 12.05 am

New reports are absolute ****, and make my life more difficult!
Tempted to jump to MYOB, esp as you keep hiking my prices despite having barely a handful of employees!

Susannah Legge
August 8, 2022 at 10.24 pm

Great to see so many other people like the old version of the reports.

I’ve tried out the ‘new’ reports and they are harder to read and just useless IMO.

Please do not change the balance sheet and profit and loss old reports, they really work very well and so easy to read the numbers.
The new reports ask for customisation and messy. You guys really do not need to change them. If anything – add features to the old versions .

Ian Walker
August 10, 2022 at 10.10 pm

Don’t like this new layout at all. Takes up far too much space and the need excessive scrolling and is definitely a step backwards. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old layout!!