We use cookies to make your experience better. By using xero.com, you accept our cookie notice terms.

Brought to you by

The Xero dashboard is getting a new look

Posted 4 months ago in Product by Emily Henlein
Posted by Emily Henlein

In the months ahead, you may notice that your Xero dashboard looks a little different. It’s all part of our work to upgrade the technology that underpins our platform, so it doesn’t slow us down over time. Just as you need to upgrade your phone every few years, we need to update Xero so we can continue to build the features that you need in your business or practice.

The functionality of your Xero dashboard won’t change, but there are some small tweaks to the design that may take some getting used to. The new version is designed to give you a consistent experience across Xero, while also improving speed and accessibility. Here’s an overview of the changes you can expect to see soon.

What’s changed?

• We’ll introduce a new ‘hide’ button instead of the old ‘x’ button on introduction and welcome banners, which will run across the top of the screen
  • The ‘edit’, ‘save’ and ‘cancel’ buttons will be located in the top-right corner of your screen, instead of the bottom
  • If you’re an accountant or bookkeeper, you will notice new names and descriptions for each widget when setting up a Xero account for the first time
  • A new colour strip on the information panel below widgets will help you understand what step to take next (orange strip) or any errors (red strip) at a glance
  • When editing your dashboard, you’ll be able to select or unselect a ‘show’ checkbox, instead of clicking the ‘hide’ button
  • The drag icon will be at the bottom of the widget instead of the top, and there’ll be a yellow placeholder that will appear when you move widgets, so you can see the location more clearly

We’re always listening

We’ve had a really positive response from customers who have tested the new dashboard as part of our design research panel. We will continue to listen to your feedback on the features you’d like to see in the future, so we can make it easy for you to keep an eye on your finances and stay on top of your cash flow.

197 comments

MY
March 31, 2022 at 2.20 am

Can you please add the revenue vs expenses chart, in the same format as Cash in vs Cash out.

Annette Blanchard
March 31, 2022 at 8.18 pm

While you are updating features could you please look at enabling credit notes to be picked up as part of a batch payment rather than having to be allocated to invoices and show as a separate item on payables lists.

We have a number of suppliers that offer us refunds on unused items over a period of 12 months. This means that original invoices are often paid and credit notes issued at the point of return of goods. This gets confusing at their end when we show on a remittance that we have underpaid an invoice due to it having an unrelated credit allocated to it.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this.

barb
May 5, 2022 at 9.12 pm

yeesssss to this!! pain in the butt

Xero in reply to barb Xero
May 9, 2022 at 2.32 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback, Barb – it has been shared with our Product Teams.

Ian Main
April 2, 2022 at 10.52 am

‘Sounds’ good but I can’t click on the images in your article to ‘see’ the detail – the images at the moment are too small to see what you’re describing 🙁 If you’re doing an accessible Dashboard, please do accessible articles too 🙂

Thanks

Xero in reply to Ian Main Xero
April 5, 2022 at 4.59 pm

Hi Ian, thanks so much for your feedback – I will pass it on to our creative team to see how we can improve the visibility of our images on the Xero Blog.

Xero Xero
April 6, 2022 at 4.04 pm

Hi Everyone – thank you all for sharing your feedback and suggestions. All your comments have been shared with our product teams, who are currently evaluating all the feedback we’re receiving. Please continue to share your thoughts with us. Thanks!

Andrea Cayero Clausell in reply to Xero
May 11, 2022 at 9.46 pm

Hi! I believe removing the search tool it’s really inefficient when trying to find a customer or supplier for any kind of check. The rest looks good!

Noel Heffernan
April 9, 2022 at 8.40 pm

Is it possible to default the cursor to the “search” option input box, when selecting Contacts?

Xero in reply to Noel Heffernan Xero
April 14, 2022 at 2.13 pm

Hi Noel, thanks for your comment. Your suggestion has been passed on to our product teams.

Chris in reply to Xero
May 11, 2022 at 9.10 pm

I’m struggling to locate the search button to find invoices/contacts on the dashboard. Where has this been moved to?

Barry
April 10, 2022 at 6.46 am

Hi I am new to all this do you have to use a computer/laptop to get the best out off it as I have been trying to use my phone for this and can’t find it

Many thanks

Xero in reply to Barry Xero
April 14, 2022 at 2.14 pm

Hi Barry, can you please raise a ticket with our support team so we can give you a hand? Thanks!

Tammy Honour
April 11, 2022 at 8.16 am

Can you PLEASE put the Xero Files icon back on the top banner of the Dashboard? Near the Search and Notifications on the top right corner, where it was originally? So much feedback from users when this was removed, yet no action by Xero designers.

Xero in reply to Tammy Honour Xero
April 14, 2022 at 2.15 pm

Hi Tammy – thanks so much for your comment and feedback, which has been shared with our product team.

Nic
April 12, 2022 at 5.47 pm

Hi Team
Is it possible – under ‘Bills to Pay’ to have ‘ Awaiting approval’ showing in the list with the other options.
Unless you click further into the screen and tabs you are unaware that there are bills to be authorised
Thankyou

Xero in reply to Nic Xero
April 14, 2022 at 2.17 pm

Hi Nic, thanks for your comment – your suggestion has been shared with our product teams. Thanks you for your feedback on your experience.

Joy
April 12, 2022 at 11.14 pm

While you’re upgrading things, could you also please address a small, though not so small thing …

When adding a Spend transaction, it requires you to select the account the money has come from to make the purchase. However, if the incorrect account has been inadvertently selected the whole transaction must be deleted and re-done from scratch which can potentially waste a lot of time if someone has added many transactions without realising their error.

When we were using another competing product, if an error like this was discovered, there was a dropdown menu within the transaction that would allow you to re-select the correct account without all the other manual handling of having to re-add the transaction again.

It’d be great if this type of adjustment could be made equally as simply in Xero – it would be a small, though not insignificant game-changer.

Thank You!!!

Xero in reply to Joy Xero
April 14, 2022 at 2.18 pm

Hi Joy, thank you for your comment and sharing our feedback with us. Your suggestion has been passed on to our product teams, who continue to work on the Xero Dashboard and are reviewing all the feedback we are receiving from our customers. Thanks again!

Julie
April 13, 2022 at 9.31 am

Hi, is there any chance of adding an option to either include or exclude Voided Invoices in the Receivable Invoice Summary report?

Xero in reply to Julie Xero
April 14, 2022 at 2.19 pm

Hi Julie, thanks for your comment – we have passed your question on to our product team.

Tom S
April 17, 2022 at 11.24 pm

Can you please add in YTD Budget on the dashboard – it would be more useful than Month Budget. Preferably have both.

Xero in reply to Tom S Xero
April 27, 2022 at 4.32 pm

Hi Tom, thanks so much for your comment – your suggestion and feedback have been shared with the team.

Stellar Maeve
April 26, 2022 at 12.29 pm

Hi! Great updates- please introduce a dark theme! I’m on xero 2-3 hours every day and the bright white screen hurts the eyes!

Xero in reply to Stellar Maeve Xero
April 27, 2022 at 4.29 pm

Hi Stellar, we’re thrilled to hear that you like the latest updates and thanks so much for your feedback – we have passed in onto our product team.

Pippa McKone
May 4, 2022 at 2.42 pm

How do i get to Xero Central from my Dashboard now. Its not in the drop down from my name on top right anymore.

Xero in reply to Pippa McKone Xero
May 9, 2022 at 2.30 pm

Hi Pippa, are you able to click on the question mark ‘?’ on the top menu on your dashboard – that should take you to ‘Help’. Thanks!

Janita
May 11, 2022 at 8.18 pm

Can’t find the search engine anymore on the top right corner. Can you help?

Simon Boyd
May 11, 2022 at 8.20 pm

I have just noticed the search icon is missing from the top right, where is it?
Thanks

Lucy Duckworth
May 11, 2022 at 8.33 pm

The search ability – that I use pretty much every time I go in – has disappeared. How do I get it back?

It was top right next to the +

Alex
May 11, 2022 at 8.43 pm

The magnifying glass search function has vanished, has it been removed for some reason?

Rebecca
May 11, 2022 at 8.54 pm

The search bar seems to have disappeared. Please could this be added back in, as this is making our processes much slower? I don’t understand why it would be removed.

Scoil Mobhi
May 11, 2022 at 8.55 pm

Very basic questions.Where is the search key now please? It was at the top right hand side of the screen for ease of access before the editing.Could the accounts for payment be sorted by Reference numbers allotted please or how do I rearrange them? I am quite computer literate but cannot see either the search key now or how to put them in order so I know the next number available to apply,many thanks

Louise Watt
May 11, 2022 at 9.18 pm

Hi

Is there a way to get the magnifying glass back to the top right of the dashboard?

Mine has disappeared!

Thanks
Louise

Barbara
May 11, 2022 at 9.20 pm

OK I don’t mind the changes but where the heck has the search eyeglass gone? We use this all the time to search for references ect for us to do invoicing and other things. I really need this feature.

Louise Handley
May 11, 2022 at 9.26 pm

I have just seen the updates but am unsure as to why the search icon has been removed from the menu bar. I use this daily…is it coming back!?

cathryn
May 11, 2022 at 9.28 pm

Where is the search button gone off the dashboard?

Colby
May 11, 2022 at 9.41 pm

Where has the search button gone?

Marlyn McInnes
May 11, 2022 at 9.42 pm

in the old version top right you could search a supplier or ref or amount but this is gone, where can you search now thanks

Katie Floyd
May 11, 2022 at 9.53 pm

Hello, the search box seems to have disappeared from the main screen. How can I search for transactions now?

Hayley Pope
May 11, 2022 at 9.55 pm

You’ve also removed the little search icon/function from the blue bar with the ‘help’ section. Just had a very upset client on the phone as they use it all the time. There is no mention of this being removed in the changes detailed. Is this an oversight and has been removed in error? Any chance it could be added back in?

Shirley Anderson
May 11, 2022 at 9.56 pm

Where has the main search button gone that was available on most screens? Is there an easy way to search now?

Mike Hopkins
May 11, 2022 at 9.59 pm

Where has the search box gone. It used to be a permanent tool on all screens?

Elizabeth Sanders
May 11, 2022 at 10.11 pm

Hi, how do I do a basic search on the new look dashboard? For example if I want to search for a supplier? Thanks

Marie Wright
May 11, 2022 at 10.17 pm

Where has the search icon gone out of the top tool bar? if its gone please can we have it back, its so helpful

Jack Daniels
May 11, 2022 at 10.21 pm

Where has the search feature gone that was on the front page. It used to take me 2 seconds to find a customer or invoice number, now have multiple clicks 🙁

Sarah Joyce
May 11, 2022 at 10.24 pm

Hi – where has the search button gone – was very useful to find things – don’t need the info on when last logged in at the top of the screen – how can it be removed and can’t see properly any of the pictures you have used in the examples – does anyone proof read this stuff before issue to check it’s human compliant ? 🙂

Jo Dowdy
May 11, 2022 at 10.26 pm

My Search Icon has disappeared – how do I get this back ?

Edyta
May 11, 2022 at 10.30 pm

Hi,
After you did new dashboard look I cant find search sign to find my invoices .

Fiona
May 11, 2022 at 10.47 pm

Where has the dashboard search icon gone to? This is so frustrating as we use it all the time to check if something has already been posted

Marianne van der Berg
May 11, 2022 at 10.53 pm

My search button (top right) has disappeared! Any idea how this can be corrected?

Charlie
May 11, 2022 at 10.53 pm

Where has the ‘Search’ Function gone?

Brian
May 11, 2022 at 10.56 pm

Hi, The search icon is now missing from the top right of my screen – how do you search in the new layout. missing the search icon makes Xero almost impossible to use. I have a few Xero accounts and its missing from every account. Is there a way I can turn it back on? Serious oversight!!

Sue
May 11, 2022 at 11.07 pm

I appear to have ‘lost’ my search ability (magnifying glass) on my Dashboard ? Previously appeared next to ?, bell etc ?

lisa Plucknett
May 11, 2022 at 11.17 pm

Can you please add the search facility back to the top right of the screen by notifications, it was so much easier with it there. I cant seem to find anywhere that globally searches an amount, name or random word anymore.

Carl Britton
May 11, 2022 at 11.23 pm

I utilised the search button in the top right to skip multiple steps, is that gone forever now?!

Kasia
May 11, 2022 at 11.53 pm

Hi, is the magnifying glass gone? The one on the right top for the search option?

Mark
May 11, 2022 at 11.57 pm

Where has the ‘search’ function gone from the toolbar?

Dawn Fallaize
May 12, 2022 at 12.04 am

Hi,
The Search option on the top of the screen has disappeared (the magnifying glass). Is this temporary or just a glitch? I hope so as it doesn’t appear in any of the Xero clients I have!!!
Thanks

Brenda Dix
May 12, 2022 at 12.25 am

Hi

The search icon at the top seems to have disappeared can this please be resolved as this is used alot

Zoe
May 12, 2022 at 12.47 am

Hi
Could you please reinstate the search icon on the top menu on the Dashboard which used to be there and was a really useful tool. I have also had a client asking where it has disappeared! please can you put this back.

thanks
Zoe

Sanja
May 12, 2022 at 12.49 am

Hello,
Where can I find the quick search option now?
It used to be next to the ‘alerts’ and “+” at top blue tab.
Thanks 🙂

Heather G
May 12, 2022 at 12.58 am

Where did the search option go that was on the main dashboard?

Janette
May 12, 2022 at 1.02 am

Why cant I see my search function button anymore ?
How do I see this?