We use cookies to make your experience better. By using xero.com, you accept our cookie notice terms.

Brought to you by

A new look for bank reconciliation in Xero

Posted 3 months ago in Product by Emily Henlein
Posted by Emily Henlein

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be rolling out a new update that gives you two ways to view transactions on your bank reconciliation screen. You can choose between an enlarged, zoomed-in view, or a compact view that displays more transactions on screen. Simply move the toggle to choose the view that best suits your needs.

This is all part of the evolution of bank reconciliation at Xero, and brings the design in line with other Xero features, like Single Touch Payroll in Australia and others. Creating a consistent look and feel across our platform not only makes it a seamless experience for you, but also helps newer customers learn how to use Xero.

As we continue to test, learn and refine this feature, please know that we’re listening to your feedback – both positive and negative. In fact, building the compact view is a direct result of your feedback on the initial rollout of the updated design, so thank you. With this update, we can balance your preferences with the need to upgrade our technology and make accessibility improvements over time.

Prioritising human-centric design

Customers are at the centre of everything we do here at Xero. So the accessibility of the products in our global small business platform is really important. The changes to white space and font size may be a little different to what you’re used to, but this makes it more visually accessible for some people, who can use Xero more comfortably in this setting.

We are working diligently to exceed global accessibility standards. While these design changes may take some getting used to, they will ultimately mean a more seamless experience – especially when learning how to use a new feature or switching between tabs.

A better bank reconciliation experience

Our updates to bank reconciliation extend beyond the design you see on your screen – they leverage Xero’s powerful automation capabilities to help you save time, reduce manual data entry and increase accuracy. For example, you’ll soon benefit from our powerful machine learning algorithms that will offer accurate predictions for your transactions’ contact and account codes.

Bank reconciliation is one of Xero’s most loved features and a critical part of your accounting work. So your opinions are important to our continuous improvement. We’ll continue to take your feedback on board as we test, learn and refine the bank reconciliation experience now and in the future. So please do reach out if you need support or want to share your feedback – we’re always listening.

368 comments

Katie
November 29, 2021 at 10.58 pm

I’m finding the new bank rec. screen absolutely awful to work with. It’s difficult to read, ugly and actually hurts my eyes to look at.

Why aren’t you giving people the option to keep the old screen if they want to?

One of the major benefits of Xero was it was always clear, crisp and beautifully laid out, it made accounting feel less like a task and for me you’ve completely ruined that with this new update.

T J Strickland
November 29, 2021 at 11.42 pm

The enlarged/reduced size is welcome, but these colour choices make reconciling far harder than before.

Vanessa Steen
November 29, 2021 at 11.48 pm

I would like to echo a lot of the other reviews here; it is extremely untidy looking, really difficult to look at (it’s doing my eyes in), cluttered, the fonts appear to all be in different sizes and just looks terrible.
It looks like different people designed different bits separately then put it all together without checking if anything matched. I honestly don’t know who thought changing the look was a good idea but please, at least give us the option to use the ‘old’ look, it was way better.
I showed it to my husband, who is a web developer, and he said it looks like someone’s suddenly decided to implement the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and gone completely overboard on the contrast ratio parts without using good design principles. He also wonders if any testing has actually been done with users, both with visual impairments and without. He suspects not!

Mike Lock
November 29, 2021 at 11.50 pm

Xero’s biggest advantage has always been that it is more user friendly and has a better interface than competitors, this new bank reconciliation page completely ignores that. Can we have the option to go back to the old page? I’m sure you spent a lot of time and research on the new design but just chalk this up to a lesson learned and don’t try to fix what isn’t broken. I still love Xero but this bank rec makes me want to start flirting with Quickbooks and Sage, scary thought I know.

JT
November 30, 2021 at 12.00 am

Wow, I have to move my chair back from my desk to look at this screaming page! Exceptionally uncomfortable to look at.
If you make any more changes like this we’ll really have to take the plunge and move.. can’t look at pages like that for hours on end!

Anastasia Sakoilska
November 30, 2021 at 12.14 am

I find the design really difficult to read and navigate, the grey colour is not easy to read or follow. It feels dated and confusing.

Suzanne
November 30, 2021 at 12.23 am

This is truly a hideous design. It looks very messy and hurts my eyes. The old one was way clearer and easier to use. Please, for the love of god, change it back.

Becy
November 30, 2021 at 1.09 am

As with the other comments, I strongly dislike the new layout. One of the pro’s that I sell to all of my clients is that Xero is fresh modern and simple to use. This new format seems to go against all of these. The design seems more complicated and doesn’t co-ordinate with other page updates. It’s a shame that there is no option to revert back to the old reconciliation screen like you can with the new/old invoicing page. It’s difficult to know where to focus your eyes as it seems so busy on the page with no clear definition between bank/statement lines or even between the tabs on each line.

Alexandra
November 30, 2021 at 1.19 am

Hey, I agree with the other commentators that the old version was indeed much better and simpler. The new version is just too condensed and the colour theme drowns the actual data. All in all, not user-friendly. I hope you can take this into consideration and change back to the old version asap (until you find something better although I would prefer for the older version to stay..)

Isabel
November 30, 2021 at 2.08 am

The new version is not what I expected. It actually makes it harder to reconcile transactions. The white background is awful and it bothers my vision when looking at it for so long. The words are very tiny when Compact view is on. I don’t like that the Rules don’t have a matching blue as it did when the invoice matches. This contrast is awful in general. I prefer the old version much better.

Laura Crawford
November 30, 2021 at 4.24 am

Much prefer the old layout, this one hurts my eyes… perhaps an option for the old layout too?

Anthony
November 30, 2021 at 4.57 am

1. Please allow display of a larger number of items to reconcile, including ‘all’ of them! When I am behind in my reconciliation it is frustrating to have to click through multiple screens.
2. Please add ‘dark mode’

Brett
December 2, 2021 at 6.05 pm

Yes and Yes to both of these!

Steve
November 30, 2021 at 7.11 am

Could you add a feature to where one of the view modes would give more detail as to what the transaction is about? It is frustrating to have to do additional clicks to see the details necessary to reconcile the transaction. This has slowed me down quite a bit.

Thank you.

Doug F.
November 30, 2021 at 8.57 am

Jarring – like jumping in to a freezing cold lake. I usually like Xero upgrades but this one missed the mark.

Esthy
November 30, 2021 at 9.36 am

This new look is so dull. I don’t know how I can adjust my eyes to work on this “NEW”. It is hard to work with. I love changes or embracing new techno. But please give some colors or something to make it easier on the eyes. Or at least give me an option to go back to old style until you figure out how to take these feedback into the real NEW look.

Clarke Hotton
November 30, 2021 at 9.44 am

This view is harder than before for when you have more than 5 items to reconcile. On the one transaction.
It is not as easy as the old view to find it needs colour coding to attract the eyes to different fields.
With it all white you have to look at all of the right hand field to make sure it is the right transaction, where before it was just a quick glance.

Grace
November 30, 2021 at 9.50 am

Can we please have the option to switch back to the older version? This new version is terrible! The older version was much more user friendly, visually appealing, and easier to scan the transactions. As someone with ADHD, the format of the new version is overstimulating and makes it much more difficult to differentiate individual transactions. The design looks like it’s from a school assignment that someone just threw together to turn in at the last minute so they wouldn’t get a zero on their project.

kris
November 30, 2021 at 10.22 am

The new update is so hard to read, I’m getting a headache and blurred vision trying to use it. Was this even tested before being released? There needs to be an option for people to retain the old colour scheme / layout. A big step backwards with this change.

Xero Sucks
November 30, 2021 at 10.38 am

Ugly as and doesn’t actually change the functionality AT ALL

Yet another useless “upgrade” by Xero while feature requests that people actually want are ignored. I can’t wait to move my $6mil company to another platform, Xero is f’ing awful

Richard B
November 30, 2021 at 10.59 am

I can never be bothered to comment on forums, but that new upgrade has inspired me. Well done xero. Its AWFUL. Please allow us to revert back to the original. Are you guys blind or something?

If this is the future of all the layouts, then clients are going to be moving away, thats for sure.

Kylie Young
November 30, 2021 at 11.16 am

I find the new layout very hard on the eyes. It actually makes my eyes hurt when I am using it! I much prefer the old layout.

Lynne
November 30, 2021 at 11.26 am

The bank reconciliation screen looks cluttered. I am unable to see much difference between the compact view and the normal view. I was hoping the compact view would be compact (similar to the previous layout), but it does not seem to be making too much difference by clicking on each. Not sure if it is my screen, but not sure why it is available, as I don’t feel it is a compact view.

HK
November 30, 2021 at 12.12 pm

new layout is terrible. My eyes hurt. Please give the option to switch to the old version.

WTF are we paying for????
November 30, 2021 at 12.15 pm

Reconciled one account this morning, the seven other accounts we have all hang at the reco screen and will not let me enter any data.

I had two hours of finance time this morning that Xero has WASTED with this absolute garbage “upgrade”

What a waste of f***ing time, did you ever think to TEST this crap before releasing it????

Laura Warren
November 30, 2021 at 12.19 pm

The new reconciliation function is not working. It is simply showing ……… dots. Please fix asap as I have to proved proof of my bank balance early today. I don’t like the look. Why “fix” something that isn’t working?

C. Muza
November 30, 2021 at 4.50 pm

The new format is terrible, its so hard to see properly. It took me longer to reconcile transactions , its so hard to look at the screen. Please change this as its not good for the eyes and not sustainable long term.

Etta Venter
November 30, 2021 at 5.22 pm

I agree with the post, why fix something when there was nothing wrong with it, the way the layout is now, it hurts your eyes especially if you have a lot of transactions that needs to be reconciled. I prefer using the old method.

Shane
November 30, 2021 at 5.33 pm

I came here because I thought the new layout looked terrible compared with the old one. Seems I’m definitely not alone!

Josh
November 30, 2021 at 7.09 pm

Change it back!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerry Fazzino
November 30, 2021 at 7.32 pm

I prefer the old layout much more. With all due respect, it looks like a child designed it to me…. not sure who you were ‘listening’ to when you made this decision?? What would be handy is if we could fill in the reference information without going to another page…..this is really annoying but I’ve been putting up with it in the hopes it would change sometime soon……still waiting.
I think its time to look for another accounting package.

jon Craig
November 30, 2021 at 9.46 pm

Can we have the original view back as an option please – the new one makes my eyes go funny

Debra Milner
November 30, 2021 at 9.54 pm

I don’t like it at all. I have to try to make the screen smaller – as it also hurts my eyes.

There should be an option to go back to the previous look!

Kerri Salter
November 30, 2021 at 10.36 pm

The new layout automatically reconciles my entries however I am having to confirm the who and what part which is a wasting around 15 minutes of my morning. I have entered the entry personally so surely it if is reconciled why do I need to them confirm who and what it was?
Is there any chance we can have the option to keep the old style and not upgrade? I was happy with how it worked before. Matched my reconciliation when needed however I feel it is very hard to work now.

Xero in reply to Kerri Salter Xero
December 1, 2021 at 2.04 pm

Hi Kerri, it sounds like you’re referring to two different product updates here. There have been two changes: the updated look of Compact View offering you two ways to view bank reconciliation (enlarged view and compact view) and then there’s the new Bank reconciliation predictions feature, which you can read more about here.

Tony
November 30, 2021 at 10.51 pm

The new look is yuck, why did you change a really nice clean looking design?

I usually have to reconcile with a CRM and have the two screens side by side. The new layout is soooo wide that it makes this much harder to do.

It would have been a bit better if the reference field had been promoted to the reconcile screen.

Change it back.

Anna Christmas-Cotter
November 30, 2021 at 10.52 pm

I have never made a comment on a Xero forum before.
Have to agree with all the comments – it really is awful – hard to read and a pain to use! Why oh why Xero do you continue to ruin what was a really good product? And increase prices!
I used to tell my clients Xero was great but I dont think I can continue to do that now! updates we ask for never happen – and you spend millions on making the display far far worse! Such a bad change Xero!

Claudia Burgos
December 1, 2021 at 12.06 am

As you mentioned on your video, your bank reconciliation was the core of your software and what brought people to it so why change the look of it so drastically? It’s not great on the eyes, it’s actually awful! It’s not 3D anymore. By all means improve the functionality but if the looks worked then don’t mess with that part. I would be very happy if you change it back to what it used to look and I am speaking for many many bookkeepers. Thank you.

Melanie
December 1, 2021 at 12.30 am

The mix of font sizes and bold/non-bold on the compact view is distracting and hurts my eyes.
The fact that still only 10 transactions are displayed at a time is a missed opportunity to help with reconciliation.
The non-compact view just shows a lot more blank space rather than showing more detail of the bank transaction.
I see no difference between compact/non-compact that can’t simply be achieved by zooming the browser.

gemma
December 1, 2021 at 3.21 am

oh no, this is confusing. and not very appealing on the eye at all. much prefer the way it was.

Rob Pennoyer
December 1, 2021 at 4.39 am

Wow, the new bank rec UI is terrible. Less functional, aesthetically jarring, and unlike anything else in the product. I wonder if Xero did any user testing before rolling this out?
Like, it’s weird to have spent all this effort on an ugly skin without upgrading the actual matching functionality, which is actually pretty terrible when compared to QBO.

Lisa Dickson
December 1, 2021 at 8.59 am

The new bank rec format is awful. Harder to read. Looks cluttered, and messy. Like a 1970’s amateur Windows format.

You’ve lost the beautifully clean visual that made the bank rec so appealing.

One of the worst ‘upgrades’ ever and I am usually a diehard Xero fan.

Not a single positive review from any of our clients.

Just awful. Almost embarrassing to try and explain this ‘improvement’ to clients.

ALK
December 1, 2021 at 10.10 am

If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. I need an option to go back to the old version.

Whoever did the testing for this new update needs to be questioned.

Penny
December 1, 2021 at 1.10 pm

Hi. I have been using the new interface for a week now and it’s not working for me at all. Very difficult to read, and a backward step in design (dare I say ugly). Please, please return to the old version! Or at least have an option for us to choose which version we prefer? Another problem I have noted – I work in split screens, Xero now takes around 2/3rd of the screen instead of half. Even in compact view it is much wider than it used to be.

Deb
December 1, 2021 at 2.06 pm

I agree with a lot of these comments that the old format was better. It hurts my eyes to look at this screen and I would hate to be a bookkeeper having to reconcile a lot of transactions.

Mathew Rees
December 1, 2021 at 2.54 pm

Hi Xero, love your product but the new bank reconciliation viewing options are terrible. Agree with other users that it is very hard to read and the original version was much better. Please revert asap.

Xero Xero
December 1, 2021 at 3.16 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback over the last couple of days. We are continuing to collate everyone’s thoughts and sharing them with our Product teams working on the updates. Thank you!

Alan MacKinnon
December 1, 2021 at 6.23 pm

While I love that Xero is always seeking to do better, as a daily user of Xero I have to agree that the user experience of the new reconciliation formats is a step backwards – the old format was a much better user experience and if possible should be restored.

BeOnTop
December 2, 2021 at 12.17 am

Hi,

This new designed, sorry to say Craig is rather bad. Hard to focus, hard to split transactions apart, far too many font sizes and excessive use of Bold. In Add Details section, the unit price is limited to show only 5 digits… click to edit and the number font size increases to the point where you can not even see the whole number as you see four decimal points .0000 which pushes the rest number to be hidden.

Also would be nice to see the TAX rule for rule based transactions, as not always sure if GST is or not included in a specific rule.

Better to revert back or make some additional changes to correct the above highlighted issues.

Cheer s

Sandra Gamble
December 2, 2021 at 2.23 am

Just completed my first bank reconciliation with this new look, it has hurt my eyes!! Got to get away from screen for a while.
PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK.

Cheryl
December 2, 2021 at 9.59 am

If you guys intend on keeping this design can you atleast make transactions that are under a bank rule a different color than the suggested ones! I almost overlooked this since everything looks exactly the same. Give us the option to switch back please.

Milly Bailey
December 2, 2021 at 11.34 am

A lot of my bank feed items are coming through duplicated since the update, is there a way to fix this?