We use cookies to make your experience better. By using xero.com, you accept our cookie notice terms.

Brought to you by

Xero Dashboard: your business at a glance

Posted 8 years ago in Advisors by Xero
Posted by Xero

Fresh new look for the Xero DashboardHi, I’m Tony. I’ve spent the last six years leading the Xero API team and am excited to get back to my roots to focus on the core user experience of Xero. I am laser focussed on making it easier for Xero users to monitor and understand the health of their business.

I’m excited to tell you that with today’s release you’ll notice a fresh new look to the Xero Dashboard. This is just the start of many ongoing updates you’ll notice to the dashboard in the coming months. With this release:

• We’re introducing a new graph which shows your incoming and outgoing cash over the last few months – handy for seeing your historical cash movements at a glance. You can drill into the detail as required.
  • Our invoice and bill graphs will be improved so you’ll be able to see the total amounts for all outstanding invoices rather than just those overdue – the same will apply to bills. The charts are simplified so you can quickly see if there are overdue items at a glance and drill down to see these.
  • You’ve told us for a long time that you want the choice of what to show on the Dashboard and where those items are positioned. So from now everything can be positioned as you like or optionally hidden if you don’t have a need for a particular item.

Check out the video below to get an overview of the dashboard and how it works.

Coming soon: the Business Performance Dashboard

This update to the Xero Dashboard begins the journey of delivering on our vision of providing big data capabilities for small business.

Last month, we previewed our Business Performance Dashboard, a set of indicators that will help small businesses better measure and understand their performance, while giving them information to work more effectively with their advisors. You’ll hear more about this over the next few months.

As always we’re keen to hear what you think, so please keep telling us how we are doing on Xero Community.

I look forward to keeping you updated as we roll these improvements out. Today’s release included more fantastic features, which you can read about here.

30 comments

Chris
December 15, 2014 at 8.14 am

Very nice looking, and hopefully a base for a powerful dashboard. The cash in/out graph is a simple yet powerful presentation that will be very useful for small business owners. Looking forward to the “new UI” being pushed out across the organisation.

My favorite part of today’s release, as an accountant, is “Columns for tracking and net, tax (amount, rate, rate name) gross. Grouping by tracking, net, tax (amount, rate, rate name), gross and account type.” This report has now transformed from pretty to useful. One more option that would forever preclude the need to export to Excel would be a “running balance” column.

Mary-Clare Switz
December 15, 2014 at 11.38 am

Very nice! I really like being able to drill down on the ‘bills need to pay’ to see what that is made up of as I use payment due dates.

Gavin Cherrie
December 15, 2014 at 2.35 pm

No sir, I do not like it.
I find the graphs more difficult to read. As a small business owner I do not find the cash in/out chart useful as is not correct, recording internal transations as cash in and out of the business when they are not.

Craig Walker
December 15, 2014 at 4.08 pm

@Gavin You’ve identified a bug that we should have picked up during testing. We’re looking to fix this as soon as possible. Interesting that in general you find the graphs harder to read – in fact we took pains to make sure that they were quite the opposite!

Brandon
December 15, 2014 at 8.36 pm

QUOTES, QUOTES QUOTES, don’t forget the service sector……and the dashboard is cool!….

Helen Fox
December 15, 2014 at 8.43 pm

Like the new look dashboard and the other new releases from the brief look I’ve had. What a pleasure to archive the old journal entries.
Keep up the great work Team.

Ben
December 15, 2014 at 11.19 pm

Good work – liking the new dashboard functionality.
One thing I would appreciate would be the ability to sort the account watch list by account code instead of alphabetically by account name.

Chris Dixon
December 15, 2014 at 11.56 pm

Like the new dashboard, but …… you have introduced new terminology that is inconsistent with the rest of Xero. “Invoices owed to you” in particularly doesn’t read very well. What was wrong with the old Sales and Purchases? “Owed to you” is now a new term for “Awaiting payment”, again what was wrong with that?

Tanja Schwindt
December 16, 2014 at 9.16 am

Invoices owed to you…why change terms??

Preferred to see total amount under future column (old version)….at this stage I can’t see what is coming in beyond the 10.Jan at a quick glance.

Jamie Penney
December 16, 2014 at 9.36 am

Nice work team, both the number I’m interested (invoices owing and bills to pay) are right there when I first log in. Good stuff!

sandra Jacobson
December 16, 2014 at 10.09 am

We are looking forward to the next changes which will help small businesses monitor their health. I am finding the very bright colours irritating and difficult to work with. All our invoices become due on the day the work is done so we have lost the ability to monitor that payments are coming in as expected each month. It seems I now have to go up to “Accounts” and into “Awaiting Payment” to monitor and follow up overdue invoices. We prefer the old terminology. We like the ability to set up dashboard for our needs.

Campbell Yule
December 16, 2014 at 10.57 am

I like the new look in general but don’t like the switch to showing Sales and Bills on a weekly instead of monthly basis – hopefully that will be editable soon.
Also no longer having an ‘Overdue Invoices’ amount on the dashboard so that is now one click further away (and because the graph is weekly you can’t just drill in to all overdue either)
Once we can customise this fully (rather than just moving things around or hiding them) then it will be good but at the moment it feels like a change that is only 25% there and I’d question why it was rolled out early at all.
Also the UI looks a little off (misplaced line) when an account is reconciled.
And lastly it would be nice to be able to switch off the ‘Get Bank Feeds’ button, as in some cases (ie in the UK where I pay extra) I decided not to activate bank feeds for all accounts.

Matthew
December 16, 2014 at 11.24 am

Really…. Why do you keep delivering inane updates to things that are by no means a priority. There was nothing wrong with the UI.

What about quotes? Or do you think 4 years to deliver quotes is not long enough?

What about a meaningful way to put different bank accounts on invoices, rather than us having to build a template for every single bank account/currency?

Really have to wonder who is directing the priorities at Xero.

MaxR
December 16, 2014 at 12.11 pm

Good that Xero are working on upgrades but the priorities are questionable.

How about working on getting W1 & W2 into BAS reports that people have been bitching about for 2 years.

Challenge Xero to disclose how many requests there were for the dash board titillation compared to implementing quotes compared to making the BAS report effective.

Please work on some of the hard stuff that is causing angst.

Shell
December 16, 2014 at 12.16 pm

I’ve always been a really keen Xero user but I am extremely disappointed with the new look it was nice and simple while I find the new dash irritating. I also dislike the new ‘Owed to You’ etc. The dash appears to have been over complicated while the wording has been dumbed down.. I would love to have the option of the old dash back..

Marie
December 16, 2014 at 3.34 pm

Happy with how the dashboard used to look, not fussed with the change. Main thing that annoys me is the “invoices owed to you”. I would like to see this editable to be showing monthly as it used to be. Seeing everything in the due month was great – especially overdue. This is the one thing I used the dashboard for a good amount. It is pointless having all overdue lumped into one and what is current spread over weeks. Some weeks encompass two seperate months. Hopeless.

Michael Mulligan
December 16, 2014 at 3.42 pm

Hi Tony, small CSS question, why the ‘border-top: 1px solid #E4E4E4;’ on div.reconciled? It looks weird.

Craig Walker
December 17, 2014 at 11.08 am

@Ben We’re starting to think about what “settings” each widget could have – that’s a good example.

@Chris We’re going to change the “owed to you” back to “awaiting payment” – that was clumsy. But the headings feel better – “Invoices owed to you” is much cleaner than “Money coming in” – that was a little too vague. It’s a tradeoff between the dashboard being for informational purposes vs the dashboard being used for kicking off workflow.

@Tanja Yeah – that was stupid – we’re fixing that.

@Sandra We’re adding back Overdue onto the dashboard – will that help?

@Campbell Overdue is coming back – that was a mistake to remove (however it was driven by an overwhelming push to get the total awaiting on there – so now both will be there). We’re also fixing some of the UI glitches. I’m impressed you think there’s 300% more we could do – any thoughts?

@Brandon @Matthew @MaxR Don’t assume that this interferes with other priorities – it most certainly does not.

@Shell I’m sorry you feel that way – we definitely don’t want to put the old one back so we need to make this one work for you.

@Marie Good call. We spent a lot of time on this. We are adding back in the Future state (so you get all older, and all future), but I think our next move will be to make this configurable for those that want a month by month view vs a weekly snapshot view.

@Michael Bug – it’s being fixed.

I’m really excited about the discussion these changes have sparked across the blog, social media, community, everywhere. Our goal is to make the dashboard more useful, more meaningful and more powerful. We need your help to do that so keep the feedback coming!

Cal
December 18, 2014 at 12.25 am

I share the disappointment that other users have expressed regarding this release – in my view, possibly the most ineffectual update in over 6 years of using Xero.

I’m shocked at the number of apparent bugs, and the impracticality of some of the Dashboard changes. Obviously the UI team decided this looks better; and the ability to rearrange items is good, but seriously, did anyone actually try using the graphs!? e.g., The weekly view of ‘Invoices owed to you’, and leaving off any vertical axis scale (meanwhile there is an incoherent scale and labeling on the ‘money coming in graph’ inside Sales) all turn something that was very simple to use at a glance, into a nonsense.

Xero, you can do a lot better than this!

Shell
December 18, 2014 at 10.39 am

Are the graphs on the dashboard supposed to be black? They were not like this yesterday… I really want the old dash back 🙁

Tony Rule
December 18, 2014 at 11.38 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We’ve released an update to reinstate the overdue figures for invoices and bills, all future invoices are showing again on graphs and the cash in cash out graph now excludes transfers. An option to show invoices and bills by month (instead of weeks) will arrive early in 2015. Please keep letting us know what you want us to work on next.

Michael Mulligan
December 18, 2014 at 4.15 pm

Looks good Tony, nice to see such a quick update in response to feedback.

Shelley
December 19, 2014 at 9.49 am

To echo Shell, why are all the graphs black? Can’t see a thing! Pleased to see the overdue’s back again, saves searching around for them! Thanks.

Tony Rule
December 19, 2014 at 10.11 am

@ Shell, @Shelley – they shouldn’t appear black. I suggest you contact our support team via the Help menu inside Xero so we can help get you back up to speed.

Searle Goott
December 19, 2014 at 10.38 pm

The dashboard needs a Profit & Loss account and debtor days outstanding.
Also it would be great if you could choose and or change the colours – blue dosent work for everyone…Thanks

Phil
December 22, 2014 at 11.58 am

@Tony & Craig & Xero. A big thank you for being willing to discuss this open and honestly. Listening to feedback from users will help make Xero a better system for everyone. Admitting that your first choice may not have been the best, for example with the terminology, makes me appreciate the good things you do more. Too often in the past Xero has released an update or new feature and the tone of the resulting discussion on the blog or community forum from Xero was that they were not listening to users at all, because Xero is the best and anyone who thinks otherwise is either misinformed, does not understand or expects too much, etc. Actual worthwhile suggestions would get lost in the argument.

Mark Lawton
March 20, 2015 at 4.56 pm

Great to see a graph. What I would like to see is some more. As Xero is the easiest accounting system in the world I think some more graphs would help users to make more use of the financial information locked in. For some users a P&L doesn’t mean a thing to them but they can very quickly grasp some financial information in the form of a graph. While there are some great addon partners luke spotlight reports the average user is not going to log into these daily (Which they do for Xero). I saw some of these in Zoho and was very impressed as I could immediately get a basic overview of the company by seeing monthly sales, expenses and profit from the dashboard. I think that Xero hugely surpasses Zoho in most ways, but I was impressed with the graphs. While Xero has got a lot of small business people more connected with their data, as the business grows and they are not reconciling the accounts themselves they can miss some of what is happening. I think that the graph as above would really give my clients a real heads-up on their business performance. What would be good is if you could see it on a cash or accrual basis.
What would also be really great would be the ability to add some graphs to financial reports so you can bring the figures to life. This would help to bridge the disconnect between accountants and their clients

Khushbu
March 21, 2015 at 9.13 am

Hello, I have created two invoices in different currency(one in AUD and one in EURO) and base currency is INR. and done partial payment for both the invoices. I have calculated overdue amount in base currency(INR) for both the invoices after applying conversion rates. but it is different from the total showing on dashboad. Please let me know what are the other factors used while calculating overdue total in base currency.

Thanks
Khushbu

Khushbu
March 21, 2015 at 9.14 am

I am not sure if there is some issue displaying total on dashboard for overdue invoices.

Ewen
September 27, 2016 at 1.05 pm

Repeating bills that you’ve bothered to enter DO NOT SHOW ON THE DASHBOARD until they are due. You might have made the effort to enter them, but you cannot “see at a glance” the situation of your business because repeating bills SIMPLY DO NOT SHOW.

INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTING.