At the end of May we released a collection of brand new Aged Reports. Those were the first reports to run on our new reporting infrastructure, and they were a major milestone for Xero, the culmination of a lot of investment and effort. That foundation release has let us build some updated versions of existing reports, with lots of new features and more data.
The first is the new, and very much improved, Depreciation Schedule report. We have had a lot of feedback on this report over the years and we have taken it all on board. The result is a report which will print in portrait by default, and which can show you the capital gains, losses or depreciation recovered. It allows much more space for the asset names, and if you are reconciling the balance sheet you can now show both opening book value and opening accumulated depreciation. There is lots of new data to play with!
The second report in this release is a new Account Transactions report. The old report only let you choose one account at a time; the new one loads with a far more friendly experience and lets you choose more than one account.
There are convenience dates to help quickly get the right data on screen and of course all the column reordering, sorting and other features you expect of our new reports is there as well.
Remember that you can update the report template to make it run for the accounts and dates you want by choosing Save > Template so that next time you run the report it goes straight to where you want.
Hey Xero – what about my pet feature?
This is the first release of the new Account Transactions report, but it certainly isn’t the last. We are sticking to a policy where as soon as we have valuable features we will release them, even if we plan to add other features. We know the multi-picker for accounts will be welcomed by so many people, and so we wanted to get it in front of you as soon as we could!
This is why the report is not available to users on the the Premium plan yet, but don’t worry, you will see it soon.
So what other features do we have coming up for the Account Transactions report?
- Opening and closing balances for the asset, liability and equity account types
- Handling the currency revaluation accounts
- Showing the tracking information
- Running balances for accounts
- Powerful filtering options to focus the data quickly to what you are looking for
- Tracking filters to limit the data to just individual tracking values
What else are we working on?
The new Profit & Loss report is in the final stages of development. While the report itself looks great, with a clean look and a concerted effort on improving the readability, it isn’t the report itself which makes it sing – it’s the layout editor. The new layout editor is going to be used in so many places, like report packs and report schedules, as well as client level reports. The client level Profit & Loss will be the first place we will release it, but that is another release blog!
In addition to these reports, we’ve delivered a number of other enhancements, including:
- Being able to search invoices, bills and credit notes by transaction amount
- Enhancements to remittance advices. In our pre-release communications we said we’re going to have a free text field on remittance advices, but that hasn’t made it into this release. We do support the sales tax number and registered address, though. Refer to the release notes for all the details.