A new release: Little things make a big difference
Hey, I’m Matt. Following on from Penny’s recent post about a release, I’m the other Product Owner in our ever-growing Sniper team at Xero. Some of you may know me from my previous roles at Xero with implementation and sales. Naturally, it’s a great move for me to change things up after six years and get one step closer to our product’s engine room. It’s also great to be directly contributing to product decisions after having spent so much time at the coalface working with Xero inside small businesses and accounting firms.
As many of you know, the Sniper team are tasked with the development of a range of smaller (and increasingly larger!) features to make life a little easier for all our customers.
I wanted to give you a bit of background on some of the highlights from today’s release.
- Edit standard layout for remittance advice – when sending remittance advices to suppliers, you now have the option of including branding, such as a logo, and displaying an alternate address.
- Bank reconciliation improvements – Xero has always helped you reconcile transactions by automatically suggesting coding options – this is great when you code similar transactions the same way every time. However, in some cases, this isn’t necessarily what you want, so you can now control this behaviour by turning off (or on) the ‘Suggest previous entries’ option for your organisation by bank account.
- Easy online invoice link – we’ve already talked about how online invoices help get you paid faster. We don’t want anyone to miss out – so if you don’t have an online link in your invoice email template you can now insert it with one simple click.
- Import improvements – getting data into systems can be hard. It’s now easier to get your invoices into Xero accounting software. You can import an invoice’s branding theme and we’ve made a couple of other tweaks to the import templates.
- Drag and drop manual journal rows – just like on sales invoices you can now freely move rows around. So if you’re copying and editing many journals you can now drag and drop so that your debits and credits are where you want them.
- Internet Explorer 8 – more a heads up than a feature improvement, but please note from September 1, Internet Explorer 8 will no longer be supported. Sorry for those that may love it, but to continue using Xero you’ll need to either upgrade to a more recent version of Internet Explorer or move to an alternative supported browser.
As always, check the release notes for a complete list of what has been updated today.
We have a lot more planned, including our first steps towards payment receipting, exporting invoices and bills, searching over invoices by amount and applying tracking to bank transfers. We look forward to bringing these to you.
Read more about Accountants