Files on the run

Xero Touch for iOS has now been updated to give you access to your files from your mobile device.

Xero Files using Xero Touch for iOS

Files for Xero was released back in October and was a game changer, allowing you to attach source documents to transactions. This gives you a full picture of your financial data and supporting materials all in one place.

Now you can upload images to your Xero Files inbox from your iOS mobile device, whenever and wherever you are. You can upload photos of receipts, assets, locations and people to Xero, and they’re just the more obvious uses; we have no doubt you’ll be able to think of numerous other ways to take advantage of this capability!

Not only can images be captured and uploaded to your files inbox for later, you can also use your iOS device to review any files that are in your inbox, too.

The latest version of Xero Touch for iOS including files is available in the App Store. A brand-new version of Xero Touch for Android was released last month and Android support for files is already in development.

March 24, 2014 at 7:32 pm

This is almost great. Why can’t I go in and add a file to an already entered transaction? For example, my transactions are downloaded from the bank. I then reconcile my transactions. But now I want to go in with xero on my iPhone to snap a picture of a receipt for one of those transactions. I can’t do that.

It seems like you guys always have these good ideas and just don’t seem to execute very well for how people would actually use your app.

Joe Tiddy
March 25, 2014 at 10:17 am

Great first step guys – this will definitely be helpful for my clients.

But I think that it would be optimal to be able to attach a file from the same screen that you use to reconcile the transaction. Imagine if under the ‘Make a match’ section there was a little camera icon, or if you want to keep that section to three buttons, add the ability to attach a file under the ‘Create’ menu.

This will mean that clients can reconcile transactions and attach source documentation in one smooth motion! Fun!

As it stands, it doesn’t appear that you have any means of attaching the Xero file to a transaction in the mobile app. Am I correct there?

Matt Vickers
March 25, 2014 at 10:26 am

Hi @1957Goldtop, thanks for the feedback. As we develop new parts and revisit existing parts of the app (including bank reconciliation), we’ll consider how we might incorporate files into those features.

Matt Vickers
March 25, 2014 at 10:32 am

Hi @Joe, thanks for your thoughts on this. At present you can’t attach a file to transaction in the mobile app within bank reconciliation, but we’ll certainly explore that idea.

March 27, 2014 at 1:24 am

My thoughts exactly Joe. It would be great to attach a file in the reconciliation screen of the app.

March 28, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Additionally, you should be able to take the photo from the app. As it is now you can only add from your existing photos. I don’t really want a bunch of receipt photos in my photo library… So you should also have a setting that makes it so the photos you take in the xero app don’t actually get saved to your camera roll.

July 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm

+1 to 1957Goldtop – ability to take a photo and not save to camera roll please!

Luke Gumbley
July 28, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hey @1957Goldtop and @Tristan, that’s a good idea. Not all phones save attached photos to your camera roll, but we’ve got at least one Samsung here that does. We’ve added it to our backlog of work to investigate and I’ll comment here again when it’s resolved. Thanks!