Cashflow forecasting and budgeting with Float

floatFloat brings simple cashflow forecasting and budgeting to the cloud. Designed to be simple and easy to use, you can be up and forecasting in just a few minutes.

Handy features like scenario planning for potential issues and seasonality means you can get rid of the spreadsheets and rely on an app that makes forecasting easy enough so that anyone can use it. It syncs with Xero so your forecast is always up to date.

Who is it for?

Float has been designed so anyone that runs a small business can use it to plan their future cash flow. There are plans that cover everyone from sole traders right through to larger finance teams.

And just like Xero, you can invite your accountant in to help out too.

How Float works with Xero

Float does a deep dive of Xero data, pulling out all the relevant transactions and reports to build up a complete picture of the how things are going. For the end user, it is just a matter of connecting Float to your Xero organization, and the app does the rest.

Where you can use Float

Float can be used anywhere, and pricing is in US dollars.

Check out Float with a free trial

You can sign up to try Float for Xero free with a 30 day trial here.

Gayle Buchanan
October 29, 2013 at 5:01 pm

mmm gonna have a look at that one

October 29, 2013 at 8:15 pm

We need it in ££££££’s !

Ronan Quirke
October 29, 2013 at 8:27 pm

@Annabelle, the Float team are UK based, so the application will definitely work in £’s, but they have chosen to price their plans in US dollars for simplicity across many markets I think.

Colin Hewitt
October 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Thats right @Ronan and @Annabelle – Float will work in any currency – when we move off the open beta – you’ll be able to pay in GBP, USD and Euros.

Gail Bainbridge
October 30, 2013 at 5:13 am

I’ve been trialling this for a few weeks and I’m really impressed with how simple it is to use, I can see it as a real benefit to our small business clients who constantly worry about cashflow. Can’t wait for the partner program!

John MacPherson
October 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

Love the look of this. Have just emailed Float to ask a couple of questions as think this could be an awesome application.

Justin Ward
October 30, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Does it do a three way cash flow (i.e. P&L, Balance Sheet & Cash Position) or just a simple revenue / expense cash flow?

Hilde Frydnes
October 31, 2013 at 12:15 am

@Gail – thanks! Here at Float we are finalising the details of our upcoming partner program, so that should be launching very shortly.

@John – glad you like the look of Float, and that you’ll get good use out of it too. We’ve emailed a response to your interesting questions, so that should be in your inbox!

@Justin – Float is a pure cash flow forecasting app, looking at your current cash situation and how that develops over time, so we don’t do Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet at the moment. We are however considering what features to develop continuously, and this is an area that we are thinking a lot about!

October 31, 2013 at 3:42 am

This looks great – but it is the same price as Xero itself.

On a price/functionality ratio this, and most other Xero specific add ons seem very expensive to me.

Ronan Quirke
October 31, 2013 at 10:33 am

@Nigel we don’t feel Add-ons should be priced at a price point less than Xero. Our pricing and economies of scale can’t be achieved by niche applications and services, particularly ones that back it up with a great level of service and intend to be around for the long run.

In short, don’t think of it as an app store with $1.99 apps. We might call them Add-ons, but in most cases they are substantial pieces of software that help you run your business.

I appreciate that as you stack up Xero + an add-on or two, the monthly bill can get to the £/$ 100 mark, but the functionality and capability of the software that a small business can pick up for this price is phenomenal. It really is enterprise class features for the SMB.

I might be biased having spent hours late in the evening, stuck in the office running Excel to map out cashflow when I was running my own business, but I’m very impressed with the business apps the cloud is helping to bring to the market.

What sort of pricing would you expect? Keen to understand your perspective.

November 1, 2013 at 3:59 am

While it’s certainly understandable that each add on is its own business and needs to charge a price where it can sustain itself, and really I don’t have any other expectations; the reality is that for me to outfit my small team with all the tools they need I have to make a significant monthly payment.
I’m paying Google for email hosting, I’m paying Zoho for task management, I’m paying Box for storage now when I look – longingly – at some of the add-ons I just cannot afford them. I can’t afford to have my overhead cost per employee be over a certain amount per month.

Ronan Quirke
November 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

@Eli thanks, always good to hear the perspective of a business owner on this. I see you have started the Xero partner journey – a number of Xero Add-on partners are looking to offer discounts or partner programs to Xero accounting & bookkeeping partners – never hurts to ask :)

Colin Hewitt
November 6, 2013 at 4:37 am

Thanks everyone.
Yes there will be a partner program for Float. Just email me to find out more about it.
We’re still in the beta stage – so right now Float is free.

Mike Flower
November 11, 2013 at 11:49 am

Does Float include actual against budget variance reporting, something banks love to see but few accounting packacges or add-ons have?

November 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm

when will the weekly and daily view function be working

Albeto Abbate
December 3, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hello Colin, I am using XERO to do the accounts in our six restaurants. I really like your cashflow app and I would like to start using it in a couple of restaurants and if I find it useful, in all of them. I am very interestead about the partner plan for Float. Could you please let me know a bit more about it?

Thank you so much in advance.

Dianne Jewell
April 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I’m going to give it a whirl!

James Pibworth
April 27, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Just looking at Float to plug into xero as xero fantastic for p & L’s, BAS, end of year data to accountants and budgets but no cash flow app – so looking at spotlight and float to use across 3 companies. Australia based .

Susie Findlay
May 21, 2014 at 2:46 am

James, worth checking out the app for Simply Cashflow too, it’s the only one I’ve found that was great for monthly, weekly & daily forecasting with really useful What-if Scenario functionality.

Steve Swindon
June 24, 2014 at 4:02 am

Looks like Float has a beta for daily cashflow forecasting. Currently trialling Float and Simply Cashflow. Any other thoughts on which tool is best?

Steve Swindon
June 24, 2014 at 4:06 am

Just realised that Simply Cashflow is half the price of Float (£12 vs £24 per month). Is Float twice as good??

October 9, 2014 at 11:15 am

Is there any training videos for FloatApp?

Daniel Halenko
January 15, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Hi @Steve Swindon or anyone else with experience of Float and/or SimplyCashFLow, did you make a decision on which was a better solution? I assume SCF has dropped prices because of Float, but its a substantial drop and we are trying to evaluate them both a little. Any help appreciated as I cant see/find anything on line to compare them both.