Search over history and notes

Today we’ve added a new feature for users with the Financial Advisor role. It allows you to search across all the history and notes records created when you and other users make updates in Xero.

While this isn’t quite a global search feature – something we are working on separately – it does let you do some pretty powerful searches that let you audit the activity that’s taken place. For example:

• Tell me everything that Johnny Badapple’s been up to in the last week?

• Who’s been updating bank account details on contacts?

• Across all my bank accounts, what payments have been made this week?

• Who’s been deleting transactions?

We’re sure you’ll come up with all sorts of interesting scenarios.

historyandnotes_EDIT

A few other things that made the release that are worth mentioning.

Great news for users of Partner Edition who are managing large numbers of Xero organizations – we’ve added grouping and favourites to make finding the organizations you care about easy.

You’ll also note some changes to your organization settings page – you can now control what information should form part of what we’re calling your Public Profile. Initially this information will appear on all your online invoices but ultimately we’ll help you promote yourself and your business in other ways, e.g. on Xero’s business directory (coming soon) and Community. So take a few minutes to make sure your information is up-to-date and ready.

You can find out about all the updates in today’s release in our releases notes.

James
July 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

Great stuff. This would have helped us identify some internal fraud a few years ago. This makes the auditing feature much more useful.
Am I imagining things or are you releasing updates more frequently? Loving it.

Gayle Buchanan
July 7, 2013 at 9:52 am

thanks Andrew, like that search function to track in-house staff movements – nice security. thanks so much for the grouping, was starting to become a bit of a nightmare finding clients (especially when they decided to change their display name just for the hell of it – ekkkk!) cheers

Andrew Tokeley
July 7, 2013 at 10:08 am

@James – glad you like it! You’re right, we are now on a three weekly release cycle for Xero – there might not always be a headline feature but we’ll always release something.

Hey @Gayle, can’t really take the credit for the organization grouping (agree, it’s really well done), but I’ll be sure to pass on your thanks to Sara and the MyXero team – they rock. Cheers

Dan Fairbairn
July 7, 2013 at 10:10 am

Agreed with Gayle, the grouping function is fantastic, whether to break down by type of business, internal manager, state etc. Well done :-)

Inbal
July 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Love the history and notes view. The data was always there, and now will be easy to find.

Tina Kaye
July 7, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I love that you can now STAR your favourite orgs :)

Elizabeth Salter
July 7, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Loving the grouping! And the starring!

Maree Maxfield
July 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Some great new features. Well done on the new video, giving Partners an overview of the Partner area.

Ben Nix
July 7, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Great feature with the history and notes. We need it to easily display changes to bank account details for payables and payroll!!!!

Great work with the regular releases.

Sonet Venter
July 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Looking good! I run a small (but growing) Xero practice and even for me the grouping feature is going to be very useful.

Also eagerly anticipating the Inbuilt calculator for numeric data entry!

I do have one question, though. Since this morning’s release, Xero appears to have stopped recognising duplicate bill numbers. Is this correct, or am I going doolally?

Warren Zylex
July 7, 2013 at 12:28 am

Nice to see regular features as always, but these purchase orders are rapidly becoming vapourware – they’ve been on the ‘coming soon’ list for over a year. Given it’s got more votes than any other feature request in the Xero Community, I would have thought you’d be releasing that before any of these other things. I’m all for putting a lot of work into them and getting them right from the start (as you’ve said when others have questioned the delays before), and I’ve got a background in software dev so I understand the process and the issues that arise, but it’s getting a bit ridiculous now…. If it’s not in the next release, I’ll have to go with an alternative for raising PO’s – at this point it’s seriously starting to hold our business back – we’ve just outgrown manual systems for issuing them, and I dare say I’m not the only one.

Andrew Tokeley
July 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

@Sonet – yes, you’re right, we’re looking in to it. Cheers.

Andrew Tokeley
July 7, 2013 at 9:17 am

@Warren – yep, I’m certainly regretting putting it in the “Coming Soon” section of the release notes so early! I still have a good portion of the team working on POs (although we’ve only been actively developing this since Feb this year) – sounds like you’ve read my explanations on Community (https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/52941/) so I won’t repeat that here. It won’t be in the next release and, at this stage, is looking more like September – but, as you know, it can be very hard to pin down a release date in this game.

Sonet Venter
July 7, 2013 at 10:03 am

Thanks, Andrew :-)

James
July 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

Good to know PO’s will be more like September. Like I’m sure many others do I look at that ‘coming soon’ section after every release and get my hopes up when I see stuff in it! I’ve been logging in early after every release for a long time to test out the new PO system…
On the plus side I sense it is going to be particularly awesome.

Warren Zylex
July 7, 2013 at 3:32 am

@Andrew – thanks for the response, here’s hoping it’s September (or even in this calendar year would be awesome), and as @James said above I can imagine it’s going to be fantastic when it does finally release – I also cross my fingers every time I get the “we’re going offline for a new update” messages and then check the release notes as soon as possible.

One small request – please try to include the ability to create them from the mobile site (and/or the app) from the start – that would transition the way we do things with staff buying/ordering product while in a suppliers outlet. Couple that with a ‘permission’ so I can grant specific staff the right to issue a purchase order and I’d be in heaven!

Will go and post this in the community on the relevant topic also.

Cheers – Warren.

Cassandra Scott
July 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Hi Andrew

Any indications on the fix for the duplicate supplier invoice numbers. The fact that this is now not working, is quite problematic for some clients.

Andrew Tokeley
July 7, 2013 at 6:10 pm

@Cassandra – you mean the issue where you’re not warned if you enter a duplicate bill reference/contact combo, right? If so, yes, we’ve now identified the issue and will be getting it updated in a few releases time. Have pushed the Sniper Team to bump it up the list if possible, stay tuned. Cheers.

Janne
July 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Duplicate Bill warning not working major issue. Just had to reverse out a pile of duplicate invoices. NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!

Mark Chapman
July 7, 2013 at 3:15 am

I am really excited about this. The lack of a good search function has been a big obstacle to us moving more clients to Xero. Great work guys!

Cassandra Scott
July 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm

@Andrew Tokeley. Yep… thats the one I am referring to. We need it back ASAP, as its causing all sorts of hassles for both ourselves and clients, and diminishes the professionalism of the product. Having that functionality incorporated, was the tipping point for a number of clients to move to Xero. The fact that its not working……..!@#$!