At Xerocon in Melbourne last July, our Australian Managing Director Chris Ridd, stood on stage and announced that Xero was going to build an online tax platform for the Australian market. This is of enormous interest to our accounting and bookkeeping partners and also a substantial investment for our company. Now almost a year on, with a fully fledged development team on board in Melbourne our first releases for online tax are imminent.
As Product Manager for Australia and the latest addition to the Australian leadership team my primary focus is on our local features – Payroll and our Australian Tax platform. We believe this tax platform will be one of the most important and game-changing products that the accounting industry has seen here in years.
Our vision for Tax
It’s not often you get the opportunity to re-engineer an industry. Our vision is a seamless experience combining My Xero for Partners with Practice Manager, Australian Tax and Workpapers into a single integrated Practice Studio solution saving you many, many hours!
Accounting practices, bookkeepers, tax agents and businesses understand that the cloud is the future when preparing and filing reports with the ATO. It’s all about taking advantage of these key benefits:
- Single Ledger – ease of sharing information between you and your accountant, tax agent or bookkeeper. No re-entering from Xero to save you time or you can manually enter data if needed.
- Pre-filing – reports are automatically filled with information from Xero, as well as information held by the government (on relevant reports only)
- Paperless – remove the hassle and costs handling paper work.
- Electronic record keeping – your reports are securely stored with Xero.
- Real time responses – you get a real time response that your report has been received.
A great (and experienced) team
The key thing that was evident to me in my first few weeks at Xero was the breadth and depth of experience and knowledge in the Australian Tax Team all brought together to focus on this project.
Not available for the above photo shoot were Anil, Rohan, two Pauls, Nick, myself and many more in the wider Xero team contributing to the project.
So when can I have it?
I know this question is on the tips of your fingers ready to comment below. Our Melbourne team is full-steam ahead to deliver the first two online tax forms (TFN in Xero Payroll and Activity Statements in Practice Manager, WorkflowMax) in the near future.
Our goal is to for you to be able to file these returns in July this year. With the framework in place we have an ambitious rollout of other tax forms planned. We’re targetting having all you need for the end of the 2013/14 tax year. This includes Company, Partnership, Trust, Individual and more.