Leading Xero’s customer support

I’ve now been with Xero for seven weeks and it’s been a busy and exciting time. My role as General Manager, Customer Support has me looking after the customer care, billing and partner bank feed teams. It’s a fantastic opportunity to influence our service to customers as we grow.

Most of my career has been in the public sector looking after customer contact environments. Most recently I was at Inland Revenue in New Zealand, setting up and running their customer contact service as well as roles running their complaint management department, and child support operations. Before that I spent time at the Ministry of Justice setting up their contact centre, and prior to that worked in advertising in the UK.

Outside of work I’m a bit of a football nut. I coach a lot – particularly goalkeepers – and I recently came back from a FIFA World Cup in Azerbaijan where I was the goalkeeping coach for the U17 New Zealand Womens team. I’m also married with 3 kids so my weekends and evenings are usually spent ferrying them around varying sporting pursuits. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

At Xero we have a very talented team in customer support and in our customer care area I’ve been impressed with large number of qualified accountants and bookkeepers looking after our customers. With that all said, we’re always on the lookout for talented people so if you know anybody get them to check out our careers page.

We have an opportunity to do some exciting things in the future. First and foremost is clear, accurate, and timely advice to queries that our customers raise with us. Most of our tickets are responded to within a few hours, and the majority of tickets are resolved in the first response we give. With customers all over the world, the team is rostered to ensure we have coverage across all regions.

I’m always interested in customer feedback – both positive and not so positive. I want to make sure we are meeting your needs and if you have any suggestions, feel free to contact me at nigel.piper@xero.com

Over the next few months I’ll be looking to develop plans on improving our back office systems to support customers better, including more self-service capability in our help center.

So plenty to do and to plan for. I’m looking forward to it.

Gayle Buchanan
January 4, 2013 at 5:39 am

Hi Nigel, welcome to the Xero family – customer support is just fabulous, super impressed with how consistently pleasant and talented they are. Looking forward to the self service initiative.

Chris Sparks
January 4, 2013 at 8:40 am

Its a shame the wonderful Xero Customer Support doesn’t do anything about the recurring problem I have had since September with duplication of bank download data. And also a shame that it obviously goes on holiday when some of us are still working – on standard business days.
No response to my complaint of yesterday – guess why I’m going to go back to to MYOB, where at least they respond to queries re problems with their system.
All I’ve learnt about Xero is that it doesn’t care about customers.

Kathy-maree
January 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Welcome. I look forward to your changes. The customer service team are fantastic anyway but there is always room for improvement.

Rod Drury
January 5, 2013 at 8:11 am

@Chris sorry about that. I see our customer care team has scheduled a call with you on Monday and there’s been a ongoing dialog on this issue.

My understanding is you’re having problems with duplicate Yodlee feeds. I agree the manual work around is less than ideal and we have been putting pressure on Yodlee to look fix this issue with your bank.

The bigger issue here is that banks have not provided easy ways for customers to get their data electronically. We’ve made great progress on Direct Feeds with many banks and this year you’ll see quite a few more.

We’re also working on some wider industry work to evangelize standard mechanisms to get banking data in and out of accounting software.

So this is an area that is frustrating for all of us.

We all at Xero care very much about our customers but we hear your frustration. We are frustrated that bank feeds are not that easy as well.

A way you can help is to change banks. Move to a bank that does provide Direct Feeds. That sends the best message to the banking industry.

Luke Falkner
January 11, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Please lean on Hong Kong banks this year to set up Yodlee feeds!!!

Rustin Ross
August 14, 2013 at 5:01 am

We really need with our Xero migration from QB. Its a rough ride.

Adrian Pearson
August 16, 2013 at 10:56 am

Hi Rustin,

Are you migrating from QB UK to Xero?

If so, we can move your data automatically for you. Get in touch if you think we can help.

Adrian