Xero Touch – now live on Android

Xero users with Android devices – either phone or tablet – can now manage their business on the go with our Xero Touch app.

All the features of Xero Touch that have been available on the iOS platform are now available for Android – like 4-digit pin access, creating and sending invoices, and even submitting an expense claim with a photo of the receipt snapped right from your phone.

Check out the video for a quick walk-through:

Xero Touch Android from Xero on Vimeo.

You can download Xero Touch for your Android device from Google Play.

Or if you have an iPhone and haven’t downloaded Touch yet – get it from the Apple App Store.

Feature-wise, bank reconciliation will be next off the block for both iOS and Android apps – so you’ll be able to get your bank rec done from bed while you have your coffee!

Speaking of which, as part of the launch of Touch on Android we undertook a survey to see how small businesses do their accounting on the go, finding for example that 46% check their finances on vacation and 18% while at a bar or restaurant!

Check out the other results in this infographic:

James R
October 3, 2012 at 6:29 am

You could release an App for the Mars Curiosity rover right now and I still wouldn’t be impressed until the link to Xero comes off my invoices. The silence on this issue is deafening.

Paul Lattimore
October 3, 2012 at 7:43 am

About bloody time :)

James R
October 3, 2012 at 8:19 am

I take that back. This looks good. I’m impressed.

Nikolai Blackie
October 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Windows Phone version next thanks

Philip Frazer, CPA
October 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Just installed the android version for client here in San Diego – tested the features and functionality on his handset. Outstanding – Thanks Xero!!

Jess
October 3, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Disappointing that is isn’t compatible with my android tablet. Will have to continue using the web version instead.

Scott
October 4, 2012 at 1:55 am

How the hell do you close this app? On Samsung galaxy S2 the only way I can close it is to kill it in task manager.

Xero Releases Android Accounting App | Android News Center
October 4, 2012 at 7:11 am

[…] “All the features of Xero Touch that have been available on the iOS platform are now available for Android – like 4-digit pin access, creating and sending invoices, and even submitting an expense claim with a photo of the receipt snapped right from your phone,” blogged Vickers. […]

Matt Vickers
October 4, 2012 at 8:50 am

Hi @Jess – if you email support@xero.com and let them know what model you have we’ll look into this for you. We’ve tested on a few tablets and most should work, but there are a couple of exceptions (Motorola Xoom being one).

Hi @Scott – like the majority of Android apps out there, when you’re finished using Xero Touch you can just put it into background by tapping the home key. Android should automatically suspend and unload apps that are running in the background if your device needs more resources. If you need to, you can force quit the app from your device’s application settings.

Chris
October 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Any sign of a Windows Phone app?

Matt Vickers
October 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Hi @Chris & @Nikolai – it’s under consideration but we’re not actively working on a Windows Phone app yet.

Jason
October 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

Will you be producing Xero Personal for android?

Matt Vickers
October 6, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hi @Jason – a mobile product for Xero Personal is being considered and Android would be one of a few platforms we would want to target.

Barry
October 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Finally,
I was about to ditch my Galaxy s 11 and or Xero!
You have finally saved the day for my business, thank you Xero.
We need Paymate as another alternative payment to Paypal.

Chris
November 12, 2012 at 8:10 pm

+1 for paymate. Please.

Craig
November 27, 2012 at 12:38 am

I have a few questions.
1. I create invoices on the fly for new customers where do I add there address?
2. I go to email clients my invoice and always get a error message saying it can’t be done.
3. How do I receipt payment for my clients?
It seems to be this app is ok to look at things as an information tool whilst on the road but can’t be used as a working functional app same as the online version.
Really not impressed to be honest.

Matt Vickers
November 27, 2012 at 7:49 am

Hi @Craig – the online app has been built up over six years(!) and the mobile app hasn’t been around for nearly as long so it won’t be able to do everything that the online app does right away – but over time we aim to extend the abilities of the mobile version to do most of what you can do online. Editing contacts and receipting payments are two features we will want to include at some point. Also, partially paid or credited invoices can’t be sent via Xero Touch at the moment – which might explain your error – if that’s not the case you should email us at support@xero.com so we can look into it for you.

A Bowers
December 1, 2012 at 7:20 am

Sadly, I was disappointed. The app is slow, clunky and doesn’t integrate with the android environment. The security PIN screen is invasive. Finally the functionality is quite limited. I think the release was premature and definitely not up to the standard of the great web application we all love.

Matt Vickers
December 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hi @A – thanks for the feedback. There is some variability in performance across handsets, but on the whole it works well for most users. We’re committed to improving functionality and performance as we go so we hope you’ll try it out again in future.

Ollie C
March 17, 2013 at 1:19 am

I’ve had Xero Touch Android installed since the day it was released. I cannot express in words just how disappointed I am by how poor it is compared to the generally extremely good Xero web app. In its current form the app is almost completely useless to me, and I have two Xero Business accounts for two businesses I own, and a Xero Personal account. Aren’t I exactly the kind of user who should be using the app? The 2.5 star rating it has in Google Play seems about right – it has some good points and useful features, but overall it’s poor.

The app is appallingly slow. It takes several seconds (on a quad-core Nexus 4!) to even show the PIN screen, so I assume it’s making an unnecessary network call. When I tap the PIN it seems to make a network call, so it takes a couple more seconds to let me in (wifi fast, but not always on wifi).

The dashboard “My Xero” entry screen provides no summary data so is dry and bland. Within the app itself things remain unusably slow. Pretty much every screen I open I get a spinning progress indicator. Tapping the Invoices tab does nothing initially, I have to wait for the list to appear, and that often takes two seconds. The app should be proactively caching data the moment it’s opened, not when the user requests it. Scrolling down lists is lumpy and frustrating, and suggests the ListView adapter has not been optimised correctly. When did you last see a modal spinning progress indicator in the Gmail app? :-)

The app has incredibly limited functionality. There’s no access at all to Personal data, not even a simple spending summary. There are no reports, not even a simple summary P&L or debtors report. I can open up a customer’s page and see their contact details and that’s about it, no balance, no activity summary, no list of outstanding invoices.

The app uses a proprietary Action Bar across the top, breaching the Android design guidelines. The tab contents are not swipe-able, which they should be according to the design guidelines. Tapping the Xero “home” icon does nothing, when the guidelines are clear that it should take the user to the main screen (My Xero).

I notice Xero is currently trying to hire a “Senior Android Developer” and it saddens me that it’s being done in early 2013, not summer 2011. I strongly recommend you hire someone with at least two years full-time Android experience on big apps, ideally three years. Android is a tough platform, and especially tough to create really great, fast, responsive, slick, smooth, touch-friendly apps.

I hope that the Xero mobile team will:
1. Implement a solid local-caching back-end so users can access their data INSTANTLY, and lose all these damn spinning progress indicators. If you make people wait more than 100ms, you’ll drive them nuts.
2. Update the app to religiously follow the Android Design Guidelines. It’ll make the app look better, it provides a tested UI framework to use as a foundation, and it’ll save a lot of time. http://developer.android.com/design/index.html
3. Expose summaries and iceberg-tips of the key data, so at least it’s visible until full features are built. Similarly, find some quick-wins, e.g. letting users send invoices out to customers from the app.

Matt Vickers
March 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Thanks for your feedback @Ollie. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and given the option to go back to 2011 and choose our development technology again we might have chosen quite differently. We’re happy with Xero Touch on Android but acknowledge it could be better, so yes, we are hiring quite aggressively in the Android market.

A dashboard with summarised business data is certainly on the roadmap, as is offline support and caching.

Moushumi Sikand
August 30, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Apart from all the issues raised here with the Android version, I would say the most disapointing and irritating is the inability to enter fractions in the quantity field while generating invoices. For instance if I want to raise an invoice for 1.5 hours theres no way I can do that. I’m surprised it hasn’t been noticed and/or reported yet. And I’ve only just switched to Android and have used the app for a few days. This was not an issue with the iPhone version.

please fix ASAP!!!!

Matt Vickers
September 2, 2013 at 9:00 am

Hi @Moushumi – we have an Android team working on a completely new version.

Nathan Scrivener
September 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Hi, trialling the Android Touch app on my Samsung Galaxy SIII. This is not a slow phone. The app however is frustratingly slow, even on the pin screen there is a big lag between pressing the pin numbers in and the app responding. Given that people have been reporting these issues for over 10 months this is rather appalling.

Matt Vickers
September 30, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi @Nathan – as we’ve said, we agree the app can be better, and that is why we went about changing our strategy earlier in the year. One of the impacts of the decision was that we would need to completely rebuild the app using native technology on both iOS and Android. Bringing a team together and getting the build underway has taken longer than we expected but we are now making good progress.

Eddie Koncewicz
December 8, 2013 at 1:38 am

I advised the Xero support line that the app was not working properly. I have my staff to log in access to Draft Invoices only. Unfortunately you have spent all this time fixing the app. I was advised accordingly, when I tried using the app again, bummer still doing the same thing, hope you did pay who ever was supposed too be fixing it. :o(

Kirsen
February 11, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Hi there, Love the xero touch and have all our staff and directors using it to submit invoices/expense claims etc – just have an issue on our samsung users where there is some difficulty entering something like 126.32 as a claim amount ? It doesn’t work as the apple does in that you can just write over the 0.00 there, and if you delete the 0.00 in the hope of writing the full figure in, there is no dot to put between dollars and cents on the pop up keyboard ? Is this a know issue and if so any idea when the fix will be out ? Apart from that am loving it ! Also would be nice to be able to submit an expense claim on behalf of someone else rather than it appearing as the entry persons name ?

Matt Vickers
February 11, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hi @Kirsten, you can expect a fix fairly soon. :)

Paul
April 3, 2014 at 6:20 pm

How is the contact editing coming along on the android app?
I’m trying to invoice from a tablet while I’m with the client on their premises, but can’t enter their details (for new clients) to send the invoice! Seems like a fairly important thing to be able to do…

Hollie
April 9, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Can the Xero App take a payment with a clients credit card on the spot?
If not what would be the best app to use to sync with Xero?

Matt Vickers
April 9, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Hi @Paul, we definitely want to support contact editing but no ETA yet. We know it’s important.

Hi @Hollie – The Xero App does not take payments presently but we may look at support in future. In Australia you’ve got quite a few options if you want to collect payments on your mobile – have a look at PayPal Here, or talk to your bank as quite a few of them have mobile offerings. If you use a bank’s mobile payment device the settlement amount will come through on your bank feed. It makes sense to shop around as rates can vary a lot.

Paul bennett
June 4, 2014 at 10:10 am

This app looks appealing, but it just does not work on my android phone. Crashes all the time. Disappointing…