Resolution

I was going to be strong. I was not going to cave. I wasn’t even going to go into an Apple store.

I didn’t want the new MacBook Pro with Retina display. I’m all sorted with a MacBookAir 13 and  have a 27″ Monitor set up at home that works well.  The new MacBookPro annoyingly has a different MagSafe power connector and it’s actually higher resolution than my 27″ display at 2800×1800 pixels –  the rest of the Apple product line hasn’t caught up.  The new MacBookPro would muck up my set up. I’ll wait.

I’m currently on holiday and the hotel I’m staying at is is only a few hundred metres from a Mac store. Not that I needed anything but thought I may as well go in and see the new machine.

Your first impression is that it is slim. Not Air slim but surprisingly slim for such a powerful computer. The screen looked ok, nice and clear but it didn’t look big. So I went hunting in the settings …

Wow! It wasn’t that the screen was clear. It is that it has massive resolution. Small but still very readable.  There is so much space. My MacBookAir felt like a postage stamp.

I caved. I wanted one.

In the US they are $700 cheaper than New Zealand. So I asked for one. They didn’t have any.  I could have one shipped to the store but that was a 3-4 week wait.

So for three days I’ve been popping in to the store twice a day asking if any have come in. And this afternoon the lovely sales guy (called Rodney) checked and replied, “why yes sir we’ve just had a few arrive”.

Credit card out!

I also got a $US49 Thunderbolt cable so I could migrate immediately and 3 MagSafe2 adapters (@ $9.99ea).

When I tried to migrate using Thunderbolt the computers didn’t see each other, but I found this tip: OS X Lion: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac You need to boot the old computer holding down the ‘T’ key to make it a Thunderbolt disk.

And to clean up the old Mac, hold ‘option’ down as you boot. In Lion each Mac has a hidden partition which contains disk tools where you can erase your old disk and start fresh.

The apple apps like Safari look as you’d expect. Clear and clean. But flick to Twitter, who don’t seem to actually write software anymore, and it looks fuzzy. So apps do need to catch up.

The MacBookPro is an amazing machine.  They say the ultimate luxury is space.  To have this much screen wherever you are just makes you more productive. The text on screen is unbelievable. Better than paper. So if you were wavering, like me, don’t even think about going into an Apple store.

Lukasz
July 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Damn it, after reading this I can’t shake the feeling that my bank account is about to get lighter….

Phil
July 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Completely envious! Enjoy the new laptop. The ‘T’ key is for what is know as Target Disk Mode BTW…works with a firewire cable too 😉

Martin
July 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Damn you Rod. Damn you … :)

Steph Hinds
July 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Timely that you posted this today! I’m just setting up our new MacBookPro’s as we speak!

Jerry Zhao
July 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

sweet!

Scott Barrington
July 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Currently in the US and also finding it difficult to walk past the shop. Especially with the price difference!

Paddy Gahan
July 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Rod agree with Lukasz sounds like we will all be tempted by this machine

Earl Rudolfo
July 3, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Way to go, Rod! You’re a great evangelist for Apple. I could just envision Steve Jobs smiling down at you -:)

P.S. – Maybe they should have given you a free MacBook Pro.

Eva
July 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Gosh – I bet you’re probably after somebody to just take that old useless MacBookAir off your hands then I imagine?

Maybe get some snazzy Xero branding on it and be done with it? I’d be happy to help you, I mean if the need arose!

paul martin
July 10, 2012 at 12:00 am

A bit more expensive than the next best thing – decent monitor plus cheap(er) industry standard laptop