Integrating ADP with Xero

Yesterday’s integration announcement between Xero and Automated Data Processing Inc. (ADP) brings together the leaders in online accounting and online payroll. Once setup, you can import ADP payroll data into Xero in just a few clicks. No more payroll data re-entry into Xero. No more running back to the office to complete a pay run. Using Xero and ADP together means that you can now manage your complete small business finances anytime, anywhere, and on any device.

So how do you get ADP and Xero to play well together?

•  Step 1: Connect ADP to Xero via a quick authorization process
  •  Step 2: Map the General Ledger Accounts between Xero and ADP (or vice versa)
  • Step 3: Do a pay run in ADP and send the data straight to Xero

See it in action in this 1 minute video:

Interested in an online payroll solution for your small business or your small business clients? Learn about the limited time offer of up to a $500 credit on ADP payroll for Xero clients.  Call ADP at 1.866.205.1676 today! Terms and conditions apply.

Are you a current ADP customer and interested in beautiful accounting software? Sign-up for Xero before August 31, 2012 and get 3-months free! Contact sales@xero.com and mention the “ADP Promo” to get your promo code to use on sign-up.

If you are already a Xero and ADP customer and would like more detailed step-by-step instructions, go to the Xero Help Center. Or you can attend our upcoming ADP webinar.

Paul
July 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Guys, is this integration for ADP worldwide? I would be really interested in how this could work for our Australian clients.

Terry Williams
July 19, 2012 at 7:35 am

Does this mean you will not be creating your own/simple payroll interface in xero? I realize it’s nice for distribution to work with ADP. . . but, bad to only have such a limited choice for payroll interface.

Mike
July 19, 2012 at 8:42 am

So…Xero doesn’t want to work with the hundreds of thousands of small accountants around the world? That is what I am hearing when you announce you are working with one of our largest competitors.

Patrick
July 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

There are so many better options for payroll, why did you go straight to the biggest payroll company on the planet. It is hard to deal with them because they are so large. We were hoping for something comparable to what you did in Canada, a real slick interface.

Jamie Sutherland
July 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

@Paul The integration was developed for ADP and Xero customers in the USA. RUN is a US-only payroll application, and the integration is part of RUN.

@Terry We have an open partner program and would be happy to work with anyone that wants to integrate their application with Xero. Here is a link to our add-on program: http://blog.xero.com/developer/become-a-partner

@Mike ADP has great relationships with accountants and we’ve heard from many Xero accounting professionals in the USA that are thrilled with the integration. Here is a link to ADP’s program specifically designed to help accounting professionals manage their client’s payroll: http://www.adp.com/accountant/products/accountant-products/run-powered-by-adp.aspx

Corey Lord, CPA/CGMA
July 20, 2012 at 3:17 am

I think this integration is going to be awesome! We desperately need a US payroll integration and ADP is a great payroll company so this will rock. From what I’ve read about Run by ADP it still gives the accountant full control over payroll, which is great for us tax planners out there. And it will be so fast and easy just to have the payroll information flow to Xero so we don’t have to manually enter the payroll checks in Xero.

Customer Service?
July 21, 2012 at 8:14 am

Tried calling ADP to integrate… they answer with an automation of thanks for calling… then it rings endlessly. Would be great if someone answered the phones.

Elias Bizannes
July 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

Spoke to four different consultants and ultimately found out the following:
– you cannot get this feature unless you have GL functionality activated
– GL functionality is not available on the basic essentials package, but is on the one up. Difference in price per pay run for the upgraded package is about ~$20

Jeremy
July 25, 2012 at 4:45 am

I gave up on ADP years ago. Giant company, hard to deal with. And their “website”, online interface (Internet Explorer only, I use Linux and Macs) was a huge chore to deal with. Very frustrating (filled with “Are you sure?” confirmations and extra clicking and timeouts and etc). And it was *expensive*.

Mike Branch
July 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm

So how do I (a) find out how much it costs, and (b) sign up? The ADP link in Step 1 above requires a temporary password. Where do I get that?

Not impressed with the experience so far…

Josh
July 26, 2012 at 4:51 am

@Jeremy — Actually, RUN is now compatible with not just IE, but also Firefox and Safari… and we are currently working on Google Chrome.

@Cory — Yes, the RUN system does allow for accountant control

Josh
July 26, 2012 at 4:57 am

@Mike Branch — If you are interested in ADP’s payroll services, you can call 888-292-2971, and speak directly with me at x2293

Josh
July 26, 2012 at 4:59 am

@Jeremy — Things certainly have changed! Today, regular small business payroll couldn’t be simpler than the RUN powered by ADP system.

Login – submit hours/salaries – approve – logout.

JFerguson
August 1, 2012 at 6:40 am

The best way to get info on ADP pricing Ect is to reach out to an individual rep. Feel free to contact me.

770-355-6243
Josh.Ferguson@adp.com

Rich
August 1, 2012 at 4:10 pm

RUN Powered by ADP is hands down the best payroll solution for Small Businesses on the market today. Please contact me directly at 866-731-1614 x6025 for a quote.

Pashmina
August 15, 2012 at 6:07 am

This is great news that Xero now has a payroll service that they integrate with for US clients. It was one of my biggest reasons for not adopting Xero (yet).

I have not used ADP, why are so many against it, anyone care to point to their favorite review or blog post that says why?

I will say that seeing three separate biased comment from ADP reps did not help with the image.

Neil Spangler
October 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm

How much does ADP cost for a typical small business with 1-20 employees via the accountants ‘wholesale’ cost?

thx!

Kent Henderson
October 9, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’ve been a Xero customer since May 2009. I made the switch to ADP last week after Xero announced integration. I’m up and running payroll but have not completed the Xero/ADP handshake/integration. I was concerned about forum comments I read in some of the posts about poor support from ADP. I will say that my experience getting set up with ADP has been top notch. I have a phone numbers and email address of people that assist me almost immediately. I know ADP is a huge company, but my treatment has been as nice as if it was the accountant down the street. No regrets.

Dana
November 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

Hey All,
I work on the ADP/XERO line. If i can be of any help feel free to reach out 866-731-1614 x 6079

Kent Henderson
December 24, 2012 at 2:32 am

I’m am very complimentary of ADP’s payroll product. (See, 9 Oct, 2012 post above) However, I have one complaint about ADP and their websites like https://runpayroll.adp.com. They are not adhering to W3C standards, thus making their website unavailable to about half the browser/OS’s in use today. We switched our accounting department to Chromebooks & Chromeboxes in June, but we can’t run ADP payroll from these devices. They are using a browswer/OS checks to deny access as was common 4-6 years ago. So, don’t think about using your android or iphone browser to access either. (they do have crippled, poorly rated and nearly un-functional apps for the latter. Even Chrome on Window 7 has it’s problems. You absolutely must have Adobe reader on your machine to get a report. ADP needs to hire some young 20 somethings to help with the website functionality and standard compliance. The web’s usefulness and growth depends on its universality.

Greg Lipschitz
June 15, 2013 at 12:47 am

It’s a real pitty that ADP run disparate systems worldwide. We are an ADP Payline client in Australia and would love to have everything streamlined from ADP in to Xero. Let’s hope they can get their act together :)