We were thrilled that our first official visitor to the new Xero HQ is New Zealand Minister of Revenue Peter Dunne.
Peter is a good guy and was impressed by how far cloud computing has come in New Zealand. He could see that having government connected to small businesses and their advisors is a game changer.
Specifically we talked about
- How cloud is the next generation of small business software and the opportunities around business to government connectivity.
- Cloud security. The Government is of course very concerned about that.
- Our strong desire for web services to post GST returns online directly from Xero.
- Special Purpose Financial Reporting – we can easily support this with Xero.
- Single Business Numbers. Why these are so important.
- Our thoughts on that $1.5B project to redevelop the core IRD engine.
Another of the great things about being in Wellington is easy access to the Government and we appreciated being able to share our experiences directly with the Minister.