Behind The Scenes: The Story of Xero Podcast

We had a request on Twitter for the story of Xero. So we grabbed our giant microphone, some cameras, and the original founders Rod Drury and Hamish Edwards.
Take a look at the behind-the-scenes video.

Thanks for all your feedback and let us know if there’s anything else you would like to hear about from the Xero team.

Gayle Buchanan
February 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for the courage you guys.

Nick Harley
February 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I loved it and it was truly inspirational.

I would like you to cover investment and funding of start-ups in more detail. I see numerous companies in the USA get millions in funding for a business idea, without even having a product yet.

In NZ it seems quite conservative (which I think is a good thing) but what are the best ways to gain investment?

Is a business plan enough or do you need wait and get lots of customers first to get people willing to back you in the first round? Surely Xero’s journey with funding at various stages is not applicable to your everyday start-up?

Rod Drury
February 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Hi @Nick,

We published a series a few years ago that might be useful for you

I always think of entrepreneurship as growing a series of businesses. Each one a stepping stone to the next. Your first one you might fund yourself (bootstrapping) or get angel investment. Each business gives you more experience, capital and networks. Hopefully the series above points you in the right direction.

Nick Harley
February 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Rod that’s a great resource.

I had to laugh at this though…. “Anything aimed at taking bricks and mortar retailers online will not work. History tells us that.”

….I guess Vend won Xero partner of the year this year for truly bucking that trend.

Looking forward to more podcasts from Xero.

Rod Drury
February 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Those were of course sweeping generalizations but fwiw I remember the examples I was thinking of at the time as FlyingPig (for those that remember back to 1999), Whitcoulls, Yellow Pages etc.

Vend looks like a good business.

Some content may offend :: StopPress :: Breaking news from New Zealand Marketing magazine
April 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

[…] simply stating that you are creating an audience around a certain piece of content (an iTunes podcast that targets small business owners, for example), all the other stuff gets stripped out of the equation.A lot of people that you work […]