Back to The Firm of the Future

As a tech company our developers get their time in the sun talking about Sencha, JavaScript, Ruby on Rails…and I’ll admit it’s all very cool.

But I hang out with accountants. Quite a lot actually given I’m not one myself. So my version of ‘geeking out’ was discovering industry legend Paul Dunn was going to be in Australia.

Since writing software with Hewlett Packard for the accounting profession back in 1972 and creating the Accountants’ Bootcamp in 1992, Paul has spent years advising and inspiring the industry. He also co-authored the modern accountant’s bible – The Firm of the Future. These days his B1G1 initiative is gaining momentum, giving business owners and their customers a way to give back.

So the call went out, the Aussie team rallied, and we tracked Paul down at a noisy cafe in Melbourne to talk about the future of the profession.

Paul Dunn
February 14, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Way to go! And thank you.

Matt Allen
February 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Wait, Rails?

I though you guys were a .NET shop?

🙂

Matta

Michael Schlederer
February 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

Fantastic advice and not just for accountants.

Thanks for sharing!

Ronan Quirke Xero
February 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm

@Matt we use Rails in elements of dev/testing and there is a Rails API library that we contribute to, but the application is .NET based – we like to mix and match!

Accountancy
February 18, 2012 at 11:35 am

love the idea of B1G1!

Rob McKilliam
March 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

Paul Dunn – you are as insightful and as inspiring as always.