Xero Touch news and iOS 5 release
We’ve been pretty excited to see the latest iteration of iOS. Early testing showed us that Xero Touch performance on iOS 5 was going to be better. And running Xero Touch on an iPhone 4S with its smokin’ new A5 chip got Craig our CTO so excited that he made this video.
Today we got our second iOS release into the App Store and pushed our changes to Xero Touch, which is available through any touchscreen phone’s browser. This release has addressed a few display issues and functional problems with the original release and with the upgrade to iOS 5. Here’s the detail:
- Fixed bugs that appeared with the release of iOS 5, which prevented some people from saving expense claims.
- Reduced the size of attachments that are uploaded, saving you mobile data bandwidth when you’re out and about.
- Switching in and out of the app should now be more reliable: you can start writing an invoice, switch out of the app to check some details and then switch back to finish your work.
- Fixed some bugs with session expiry that caused the application to hang.
- Made lots of small but important improvements to the user interface.
Our next release, which we aim to get out before Christmas or shortly after, pending the App Store approval process, will include support for inventory items which will make invoices much faster to complete.
We’ve talked about having our first Android release by the end of the year, but we’ve been quite disappointed with the performance on Android devices. We don’t want to release a product that we know is going to frustrate people and that we wouldn’t want to use ourselves, so we’ve elected to wait until the release of Sencha Touch 2 before we package up our first Android release.
Sencha Touch 2 specifically tackles performance – most notably Android performance – and has a whole host of optimisations that will make Xero Touch run much better on Android, whether you’re using a dedicated app or your phone’s browser. We think it’s worth waiting for. There’s no release date for Sencha Touch 2 announced yet, but as soon as they provide a stable beta release, we’ll begin the job of moving things over. Should be early next year.
In the meantime, we know that some people on Android have been struggling so shortly we’re going to make it easier for Android users to switch between Xero Touch and our low-fidelity mobile site from within their phone’s browser.
Read more about Business