iPad 3G on XT

I’ve just graduated from my first Wifi only iPad to a 3G model.  I absolutely love my iPad but it was frustrating to just use it on Wifi.  With the 3G I can be connected anywhere and have access to everything I need.

I had the iPad3G sent over from the US, and followed the process to connect to Telecom’s XT network. I had to manually trim the SIM but that wasn’t too hard and took about 15 minutes to get going, while making me feel like Tim the Toolman Taylor.

It’s liberating to have instant on Internet access anywhere I am.  The XT network is fast all over the country so the iPad hums.  I’m on a 4GB plan which should be OK.  As I have a BlackBerry, TStick and now an iPad all on XT  it would be great to be able to consolidate them all into one account and hope that comes at some point.  I was tempted to get a Mifi to share connections but the instant on nature of the iPad 3G makes it much more useable.

Having had an iPad for a while now I’ve settled into using it at home and work.

My personal experience is very much like described here. iPadTV. I’m watching less broadcast TV on the 46″ in the lounge, and more downloaded US shows on my chest when traveling.  The quality is stunning but an hour of hi-def TV from iTunes is 1.5GB so you need to be careful where you get your downloads.  I’ve already spent $US150 on content so I think this reinforces that FTTH initiatives need access to TV content to create the base demand for subscribers. With good content consumers will spend.

My most used app is NewsRack.  An RSS reader than works great with Google reader, so you are always in sync between Mac and iPad.

With my work hat on I have my iPad with me at all times.  The killer application is reading board papers.  Being able to download 200 pages of board materials as a PDF and read them when you can, is much easier than carrying papers in your case.  In a board meeting the iPad is low profile and not distracting. Because you can search within pdf’s it’s very efficient.  I use GoodReader, where you upload files through iTunes, but it works even better with DropBox. You simply drop your files into DropBox and GoodReader on the iPad can grab them down whenever you have an Internet connection.

GoodReader does not yet have annotations, but Steve Job’s iOS keynote showed a new version of iBooks due later this month.  iBooks will support PDF’s and annotations.  Not sure how you get content in yet, but annotations will make the iPad just ideal for doing Board meetings.

For note taking I use Things, which links nicely with the mac version. Rather than just take notes I take actions.

So far though the best iPad app has to be Angry Birds. Best way yet to kill a late night flight home.

What’s on your iPad?

Rod Drury
June 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Ha! I’m commenting while a passenger in a car. Love my iPad3G.

brenda
June 6, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Did you have to get a new XT account especially for this?

Matt
June 6, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Try out Penultimate and AirVideo (best app if you have network attached storage etc and lots of videos)
I got around the 3G\wifi issue and the multiple data accounts issue by getting the Nexus One which now has Wifi Tethering on Android 2.2. So my iPad and Laptop (and my workmates) all go out through my 1Gb vodafone connection, goes twice as fast as the vodem.

Andrew Haynes
June 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Unfortunately i’m still in the “wishing for an ipad” category.

I bet Xero looks nice on it.

Nathan Li
June 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Nice post. I’ve got my iPad 3G connected to Voda, it has been great. I’ve got Kindle for iPad for books reading, Keynote. For my almost 3 year old, I’ve got iReading HDI, Sneezie HD, Tangrams and FirstWords Deluxe. For gaming, I’ve got RealRacingHD, FlightControlHD, Magic Piano. I’ve also bought Wired Magazine, haven’t got a chance to read it yet.

John-Daniel Trask
June 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm

When are we going to lose flash for graphs Rod? Xero otherwise is great on the iPad.

Best game for me so far is FlightControl HD, but then I never played Flight Control on the iPhone so perhaps I’m just discovering something new :-)

Rod Drury
June 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm

J-D Testing HTML5 charts for personal now. Will get to business version after that. They look great.

Craig Walker
June 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Pandora, Netflix, NY Times, MLB At Bat, AirVideo, GoodReader, Kindle (I use iBooks as well but Amazon has a bigger selection), Tweetdeck, Weather HD (beautiful way to show off the iPad’s screen while also checking the weather), Marvel (comics are a killer app), Zinio (as are magazines), Wired, Epicurious (iPad is great in the kitchen), IMDB and lots more…

Yet ironically the ones I use the most often are Safari and Mail!

@JD Replacing the graphs is happening – have been working on options – am actually currently running a beta on Canvas but am hoping to move to SVG – no timeframes yet though.

Craig

Miki Szikszai
June 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm

What are you using your mac for – anything?

Hugh
June 6, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I’ve got PressReader App and a subscribtion for unlimited newspapers monthly. Very data intensive but excellent for reading newspapers all around the world in normal ‘newspaper format’… I get most major NZ and AU newspapers pushed each day to the device (I only have a WiFi so don’t have to worry about data limits with a 3G plan).

Rod Drury
June 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm

@Miki Bicep curls

Miki Szikszai
June 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Also having trouble reconciling the statement that the ipad is not distracting with the author

Martin
June 6, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I desperately want an iPad to go with my phone – it looks like a fantastic laptop replacement.

But until vodafone/telecom come up with some sort of family or shared data (across multiple devices) I struggle with justification. I just can’t afford to have multiple dataplans across multiple devices.

Adam
June 6, 2010 at 4:03 am

Question: iPad or Kindle for PDF reading?

I’ve got a stack of PDF text-books I need to read in the coming months and am looking for a good reader.

The Kindle DX sounds like the best reading solution, but the iPad does so much more and is roughly the same price.

Thoughts from you iPad owners?

John Murphy
June 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Was a fan of Reeder on the iPhone. Delighted it’s come to the iPad. Very quick.

Good to hear you’re testing the HTML 5 charts.

Enjoying MoneyMap.

Ian
June 6, 2010 at 6:11 pm

@Adam – a cheaper option is the Kobo – Whitcoulls are doing this for $300, or $200AUD at Borders in Oz. They’re really slow to turn/move the page so not a good option if you need to zoom (PDF with small text), but battery will last several weeks rather than several hours like the iPad.

The iPad will give you a better experience – backlit, bigger screen, faster scrolling/zooming, but will cost a chunk more.

Wilson
July 7, 2010 at 6:10 am

Jumped on the iPad wagon a few weeks back. Love it. I too have found myself watching less TV in the living room, and watching more on this little guy (with a good amount of high quality free programming from iTunes). And reading email has taken on a new feel (Outlook and Gmail). Apart from Harbor Master HD and StickGolf, I’m stuck on using all the news apps, everything from Mashable to NYT, to WSJ to NPR. The wife has a Nook ereader (Barnes and Noble bookstore), and loves it. It will comment that reading books on the iPad is more straining to my eyes than reading the e-ink on the Nook, especially after longer periods of reading.