Letter from New York – settling in
Hi everyone, we’re taking to the New York lifestyle well now that we’ve been working a couple of weeks. We’ve got a desk each at the back of the Soho offices of The Hyperfactory – another company from New Zealand. In a typically classic NZ-is-so-small-you-know-everyone moment we sought out these kiwis at The Webby Awards last year (where they scooped up a few!) and they said ‘Hey, if you’re ever in New York and need a couple of desks let us know.’ So we took them up on it! The offices are very loft cool and the guys here working in mobile marketing are very busy and creative with flip charts and printouts of their work everywhere, donuts, phones, music and Skype meetings with their colleagues around the world. I’m sure I’m the oldest person in the office and I’m trying to introduce a bit of orange!
- I drink from the tap faucet, not bottled water
- I haven’t got a bag for my laptop that I now carry everywhere with me so I’m using the ‘gift bag’ Bloomingdale’s give to tourists – hey it’s sturdy, light and comfy on my back!
- I stand up on the subway
- I walk on the right, mostly, and just get where I’m going
- I take sandwiches to work everyday for lunch
- I’m still fascinated by having a doorman & always offer an enthusiastic greeting
- We went for a work meeting downtown and walked the 20 blocks
- I’m starting to get withdrawals from not doing any baking in ages
- We go for coffee at a very trendy espresso bar in a surf shop store in Soho – it’s nothing but a shop full of surfboards, wax and t-shirts with an espresso machine up front making excellent coffee like we’re used to in Wellington – if you’re in New York and don’t know it, I totally recommend Saturdays Surf in Crosby St.
- I have gumboots rainboots – when I wear them in Wellington I feel rather obvious although I can tell people take a second look thinking ‘hey, that’s a good idea’ but when it rains here I don’t even get to the end of our street block when I see loads of other women wearing them, and wearing them all day in the office. Have only seen one other pair of orange ones though in a sea of black, dark green and Burberry.
Until next time, keep the great comments and feedback coming on Xero Personal – you will have seen me (^OG) busy on Twitter at @XeroPersonal and with my International Orange Team back home creating the Xero Personal Help Centre.