Bank rules rock

Some said it wasn’t possible to love reconciling transactions. Others said it was the most fun they’ve had in years (OK, no-one actually said this but people are still loving it). So if you thought Fast Cash Coding was cool and are looking for a way to make Bank Reconciliation even faster, then you’re going to love Bank Rules.

It’s the big feature in our product release today.  Bank Rules is a brand new way to take control of how bank statements are coded into Xero. Check out the video below to see it in action and get the full scoop in Help Centre.

You can find out about the other things in today’s Xero product feature release here.

P.S. It’s been a long night at Xero HQ this release – still a bit of fine tuning going on behind the scenes but we were so excited to tell you about bank rules that we’re letting you know Xero is back up online. As usual, if you notice anything strange let us know on Thanks for your patience during this release.

Mark Lawton
February 22, 2010 at 10:25 am

This is great – simple but powerful. As an accountant this will really speed up my work and enable me to grow my business and focus on value added services.

I love the fact that you guys listen to your customers and keep improving the product from customer suggestions – Well done!

Danny Phillips
February 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm

This will be great for our weekly individual payroll transactions that we were having to ‘copy’ from each previous week as we didn’t want them as recurring invoice style transactions.

And I’m sure we’ll find many other ways to use it – Good stuff.

David Atkinson
February 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Just tried WebPayroll. Why do you endorse this product? I tried the free trial and the system won’t go past enter date for net payroll, despite valid dates being entered. I tried to send them a message on their contact form and was firstly given a SQL error. Apparently it doesn’t like quotes. After fixing this, I got another SQL error sayiing their system did not respond. Very amateurish. It makes me wonder about Xero if they can’t even test the products they endorse. Do you get a kickback from them?

Catherine Walker
February 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Hi David, I’m really sorry you’ve had this experience with WEBpayroll – we’ve had nothing but good feedback to date. We carried out thorough pilot testing with the integration as well so what you encountered is unusual and very unfortunate. One of our API guys will contact you directly and also WEBpayroll and we’ll see what’s going on. Thanks for letting us know there’s a problem.

Paul Southworth
February 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Yeeeeessss thanks so much for bank rules. You have no idea how painful it has been to reconcile bank lines that are coming through all at the same value.

You just made XERO 3 times as good!

Richard Beechey
February 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm

David. I had tried another online payroll system and it was a nightmare. Then changed to iPayroll which integrates with Xero and it was fantastic. The transition process was very well supported and the product just did what it was supposed to and did it really well. Would highly recommend that you have a look and request a demo, I found the trial a bit tricky as I couldn’t be bothered reading all the instructions :-).

Paul Lattimore
February 22, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Well done Xero for this huge time saver. No more calculating 70/30 splits of the power or rent before reconciling. It didn’t happen overnight, but it did happen.

Roger Graham
February 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Hi David, based on your feedback we have examined our system closely. We have been unable to find any problems and no-one else has reported any issues of this nature.

With not having much information to go on, please can you ensure your web browser is fully supported and is on the correct version or higher. The minimum versions are contained on our website.

If you are still having difficulty you can contact our support centre on 1300 55 85 81 and they will only be too glad to assist you.

Kind regards
The Web Payroll Team

James R
July 13, 2010 at 10:58 am

This is great.
I have another feature request that would be fantastic. I have customers that often pay a bunch of invoices in one go without specifying which invoices they have paid.
It would be great if the bank rec page could detect all combinations of unpaid invoices that added up to the single payment amount and offered them as guesses.