MinuteDock – track time with Xero

I was talking with some people at the Xero Now’s the Time event this week and the question came up a few times as to when Xero would do time-tracking. The people asking were keen to use Xero but they rely heavily on tracking their time.

Time-tracking is one of those applications that everyone likes to be tailored to them. Some people track in six minute blocks, some people in days. Some like to enter their time weekly, others use timers and some like to use installed applications that monitor their work and when they’re away from their computer.

Over the past year, more and more great web-based applications have started integrating with Xero and a lot of these include time-tracking. For example Acclipse is a practice management system for accountants; WorkFlowMax and ProWorkFlow are powerful job and project management systems with built-in time-tracking; FreshBooks is a well known online invoicing system that provides time-tracking.

For a good number of users that don’t need the power of these systems, there’s now a very nice solution that just does time-tracking and does it well. MinuteDock is time-tracking for Xero. It pulls contacts from Xero, allows you to track time using a nifty Twitter style input, then pushes invoices back into Xero when you’re ready.

Watch this video to see how it works.

November 19, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Now that just might get me to move to Xero! Very nice that it integrates. Was just searching for a time tracking solution and wondered about Xero.

MinuteDock Time tracking - Turn your time into Money! : Silicon Welly
December 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm

[…] pretty cool Time tracking tool called MinuteDock has recently launched out of Wellington and it plugs beauitfully into Xero so it makes it faster and easier than ever to, turn your time into […]

January 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Just doubles the price of using Xero for a feature that should be included – As a system Xero will apeal to many freelancers and having to pay to track time is poor show, even manual entry of time format rather than quantitiy would be an advantage.

January 13, 2010 at 5:45 am

Absolutely agree. This is the main reason I am forced to utilize Freshbooks in conjunction with Xero. If Xero added a good time tracking and reporting feature, I’d consider moving my invoicing to Xero… to save a few bucks (although I do love my Freshbooks). In the meantime, the Freshbooks ot Xero integration has been working very well.

Adrian Pearson
January 14, 2010 at 5:21 am

Sorry @monkey but I disagree, time tracking is not needed by most businesses, although I agree that it IS required by almost all consultants / freelancers. So the Xero have got it right IMHO – make integration with time tracking apps easy for those who need it. On the cost front, users obviously see the value in the Xero offering with its current feature set, so time tracking should cost extra (either as an upgrade to standard Xero or via a third party like MinuteDock.

I’ll raise this issue over at http://www.xerousers.com and see what the consensus seems to be on this. My worry is that Xero try to be all things to all people and lose their magic.

Stuart Jones
January 15, 2010 at 1:26 am

I’m with you on this Adrian. I prefer the idea of a core product (accounts software) which works and add-ons for the extras which users want.

David Turner
January 15, 2010 at 2:15 am

Great system … yet another reason why Xero leaves it’s Australian second generation competitors for dead!!

James Robinson
December 6, 2010 at 11:07 am

I totally agree with Adrian and Stuart. I use both Xero and MD, and they’re fantastic and both well worth their small cost.

George Mathew
April 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I like the comment about Xero specializing on what it does and allowing add-ons to do the rest by Adrian. Made me see this as a conscious choice from Xero rather than a letdown.

Mike Block CPA
April 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm

This subject dominated a 1998 QuickBooks beta test forum. I asked what new features we wanted. We each seemed to want something different. I thought about it and suggested that many could get what we wanted from a developer version. Everyone agreed. I then asked what would you pay for it. The answers were up to $2,000.

Intuit was then actively hostile to add-ons, but they made them their #1 priority in two years. The free interface had 25,000 downloads on the first day. Today there are 9 million web pages with QuickBooks and various add-on terms.

We now have exactly the same situation with Xero. Many think that what they want should be top priority, but Xero programmers could not possibly satisfy everyone. Instead of trying to do the impossible, they gave us far better and cheaper developer access than QuickBooks has.

July 14, 2014 at 3:15 am

Try CaseFox. It providers more affordable time tracking options, plus integrates with Xero.