Tip: Email signatures are a must

Here’s a tip I wanted to include in our 2009 Success & Survival Guide: if you don’t have an email signature then you’re losing business. It’s so basic, so important, but incredibly so many people don’t do it.

Having a sig shows that you’re professional and serious about doing business. It’s necessary for prospects, plus new and existing customers. By having a sig you’re making it easy for people to find your website, to call you, to IM you; in short, to do business with you.

Without it, you’re essentially putting up an obstacle. You’re making it hard for people to reach you at that moment when they need you. So people instinctively look for the next closest option, somebody else who cares enough to make things a little bit easier.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you have a sig with at least your web address and phone number(s). In some cases, it’s important to include your postal address and IM address. Some people even use the sig to promote their latest offering; if it’s low-key, that can be very effective and useful for your customers.

On a related note, here’s another great list of top ten business tips.

Jack Pivac
January 29, 2009 at 11:39 am

Totally agree! Will you be adding support to set a custom signature to be added to all invoices we send from Xero?

January 29, 2009 at 11:52 am

Email signatures are important, but they should also be short and concise. It’s not a good look when quoting a reply and your signature is longer than the email message!

Philip Fierlinger
January 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm

@Jack Touche! Yes we will. In the meantime, of course, you aren’t prevented from adding a sig to your emails, it’s just that Xero doesn’t automate it for you (yet).

May 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Found this while looking for a way to get Xero to auto-fill the email message.

Phillip, how are you guys doing with templates? It’s a bit of a pain having to write up a message for each invoice while sending them out. Perhaps this could be solved in the meantime by allowing us to include the reference in the email (subject or content) automatically?

Sometimes we forget and clients complain about getting a rain of emails and not being able to see what they are for without opening each and every one of them first.

Thanks :)

December 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Has this been done yet? I want a standard message with email signature in every invoice I send to clients

December 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm

We are also enquiring about a standard message with email signature. Could someone please advise us on this. Thanks

October 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi, the idea of including a customer email signature will be great, as I don’t want to type it up every time I send an email (what I am currently do at the moment). I have been searching throughout your help centre for this but lucky I came here to see that it hasn’t been added on..The reason for this, is that when I just send a normal email not invoice or credit notes or such, I always have the company’s signature with the email…but when it comes to sending an invoice from XERO…it’s not cool when every time I have to send an invoice from Xero, I will always have to manually type down the company’s signature. I hope you will update this bit..it will be great if you do…thanks

Paul Gardner
April 21, 2014 at 12:20 am

I totally agree about the importance of a signature on emails. So when are we going to be able to add custom HTML signatures to our emails in Xero?

Better still, please allocate some developer time to allowing full custom HTML templates, your clients need to ensure their brand is being presented in a consistent manner across all communications, especially ones as important as invoices and statements.

Loving what you guys do, just frustrated that I have to manually send invoices and statements which is time consuming and means we miss out on the email reporting features within Xero.