Create Basic Quotes (0:57)

Good news, in January this year we released quotes – no more workarounds. Check out the blog for more details…

Kirsty Hopkins
June 6, 2013 at 1:19 am

We have been using Xero for over two years now and will be moving if the quote function is not set up soon.
We pay au$50 a month which is quite a lot for a small business and I find it baffling that we can’t make quotes through Xero then turn them into live invoices. I would expect that this would be a basic function.
My husband is a tradie and it is so handy for him to do his accounts whilst in his van in between jobs = more free time at home to play with his son.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work on the quote function

June 28, 2013 at 1:31 am

I am devasted …. just spent many frustrating hours on importing contacts and all excited to get Xero up and running for the new financial year only to now discover NO QUOTING OPTION … seriously …. I just assumed a program like this would have it. Guess MYOB will continue to get my money for a while longer

July 3, 2013 at 2:00 am

Well there ya go. Here I am spending the last 2 days setting this thing up and getting ready to change over. I am set to do a quote tonight and can’t for the life of me work out how, then I come across this page.
Everyone is in the same boat….shit now I’m going to have to continue using my current software afterall.
I was reading posts at the top from years ago and some admin says it’s on the cards…years later, no quoting option. Really piss weak

July 3, 2013 at 2:09 am

I am really annoyed. I have spent so much time setting things up in the demo version.
Thank god there is a demo version, because I’m not paying $50 a month for software that can’t quote. Staying with what I have and just have to accept that I have wasted 2 days learning how to use Xero… so glad I didn’t fall for the $550 my accountant wanted for showing me how to use it and then to learn there’s no quote option.

July 4, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I’ve been using Xero for around 12 months now and I’m about to cancel out my subscription because of this NO quoting issue and a few other things that are simply critical and they just won’t add them, as simple as it would be from a development perspective.

It’s a pain, as switching any accounting package is, but not having the simple ability to quote is a bigger pain than a 1 time switch to another accounting system.

I think it’s a case of Xero not wanting to add certain functionality that’s provided by their 3rd party dev’s…which just means they don’t have much desire to innovate. It’s a pity really, Xero has the framework to be a fantastic product.

Andrew Tokeley
July 5, 2013 at 11:20 am

@Stu – sorry to hear you’re considering leaving over this, we understand it can be frustrating to have to wait for something that is important for your business.

As you know, there are alternative that have worked for a number of Xero users – in particular, branding a draft sales invoice to appear as a quote or using a 3rd party solution (e.g. Quotient). Agree that neither option beats having this in Xero itself and we are committed to adding this functionality but have not yet been in a position to start the development. We’re very much focused on delivering Purchase Orders at the moment (for which there is no real workaround) but part of that investment will help us deliver Quotes more easily.

You are not correct to assume this means we don’t want to do it – we totally do.

Sending me CVs of any developers you know could help!

July 11, 2013 at 2:44 am

Without quoting and PO features cannot think to switch over to Xero!! Very surprised and disturbed to know Xero can have all these features using 3rd party program (Xero partners), seems like try to sell more products, but they are not free with Xero neither cheap.
Also surprised to know Xero working on this problems since more than 2 years now!!
Let us know when Xero have all this features (common bookkeeping software features) and than we will think about it. Till than wait and watch.

July 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I have tried again tonight (did try last year) to make a quote, i have followed the direction, but when i send myself the quote, it shows invoice all over it, saying its due to be paid etc, etc.. This is no good! A year ago when i asked the same question i think the response was you were working on it, so whats happening 12 months on???

Tracey Kennedy
July 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I first send a quote then if we win the job we turn that quote to an order for the workshop then once the job is complete we invoice. This is normal practice for a lot of companies. Zero saying use draft invoice is not at all appropriate because when you email this quote the email shows it as an invoice and gives due to be paid dates my customers I’m quoting for are not happy I’m not happy. Please improve on this major problem.

August 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm

hi Tracey Kennedy, i have been using xero for over 2 years now and do Quotes on a daily basis not sure what xero have told you but try the following steps as this works for us.

1. click into general settings, then Invoice settings.
2. click on arrow New Branding Theme (as you want to create a template and name it quote/quotation)
3. scroll down to the new branding you have created and click on the Download button.(this will download a word document for yo to customise.
4. when finished customising save document
5. back to and the new branding you created and click Upload button to upload the document you just saved.
now when you go it to Accounts/Sales to create a Quote follow the following
1. click New Invoice
2. put all information in like you would to an Invoice but you will need to change the Branding to what ever you named your new branding document.

I hope this helps you.
good luck

August 18, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I guess if so many people are inquiring about getting a quotation section for Xero then it should be on high priority as we are the users and we are the ones paying the bills.

We are Electrical contractors and we have recently moved to Xero, we love the software and it has great benefits to receiving our payments quick. We also require a quoting system as we are now using our old MYOB to quote and then xero to invoice. having to do double the work.

We are unwilling to spend any more money on another system just to quote. It should be a standard function to quote and then change to a invoice after the job is completed. I do understand that a draft invoice can work buit its not professional enough.

Ild also like to see the App software being able to run in a horizontal position as it makes it difficult to work from and type in the vertical position.

I do hope that we can see change in the near future, as in next month maybe.

August 22, 2013 at 9:35 am

I am currently using QB for quotes, invoices and purchase orders and want to find a new software that is all self contained and online. I understand the you can have 5 users on QB, but I am after more. I like the sound of XERO, but I have ZERO interst in a system which does not have a standard system of quotes and purchase orders, please email me when you have a solution or someone has a better solution or different system I can investigate.

August 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

You’re kidding me! Comments dating back THREE YEARS about the need to include a quoting system and still NOTHING from the developer?

That’s just very very lame.

I agree with all the other posters that quoting is a VITAL part of managing a business. Not an add-on.

Pull your socks up, Xero!

August 25, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Xero and a new quoting system is a must .also electricians and desperately need something quickly.This blog dates back to sept 10 with the same question “where’s is the quoting ” three years guys. We still use myob for quoting, which are getting closer to offering a similar package as xero with no add ons

August 27, 2013 at 11:00 pm

It would be easy to quote if a draft could be renamed ‘quote’, and then be emailed to clients. Piece of cake.

August 30, 2013 at 2:35 am

I have clients who need the ability to quote NOW!
Xero please give it priority!

My clients are waiting to move across but can’t because of this.

September 2, 2013 at 5:54 pm

This thread has been going on 3 years and still no solution to doing simple quotes or estimates within xero. Sorry guys but this functionality needs some prioritisation. Where is the Xero development roadmap? does this even exist?

September 22, 2013 at 8:28 am

After been won over by a colleague about migrating from sage line 50 to xero, spent 2 days convincing the business owner I work for about the it, was just about to sign up, and saw this thread, wtf….., this is crazy, no quotes, my client is a sole trader garage, does not need a sophisticated quote system, just something professional that clearly indicates its a quote, I don’t care what they say, in 3 years that could have been done!!, there is clearly another reason for this!!!, so disappointed, it was 90% perfect for us

Steve Shepherd
September 24, 2013 at 9:13 pm

So there are a couple of options here.
1. You can make various invoice formats that can include the wording QUOTE on it and simply leave them as Draft invoices until they are accpeted.
2. You could use WorkflowMax (which would be the best solution) to do quoting as it is a proper job tracking, parts and time tracking system that is owned by Xero and fully integrated. Also has purchase orders.

October 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Is there a feature for creating an order in Sales and once the order is completed, able to change this order to an invoice . I need to be able to send the order out to the customer for a deposit. Please advise as this is an important part of our business.

October 23, 2013 at 9:46 am

Re using WorkflowMax for the above purpose, I do so and okay it works but it is NOT ideal in many ways. I think we need the quoting / purchase order function within Xero along with the ability to assign expenses to a particular job.

October 23, 2013 at 9:48 am

I would rather pay a little bit more per month for Xero to perform all the functions, than the amount I currently pay for WorkflowMax on top of Xero to do a less than ideal job integrating together. Am always on the lookout for an alternative because of the nuisance of using two separate systems.

October 28, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hello Xero Friends – It is critical that you add the ability for us to generate Estimate / Quote’s with your system. Your foundation is set, simply the ability to generate an estimate as a draft / active estimate like the Invoice module. Once the estimate is activated, it should notify the key client contact for review / approval. Once client approved, there should be a client view for all approved jobs for both client / vendor management. When it is time to invoice, we would have the ability to convert to invoice and edit if additional charges are to be applied. The foundation on your application to set this much needed functionality, as the Invoice module operates as such. Absolutely no need to add any form of time tracking or project scheduling, as those best served by mature apps like Basecamp. Been using Xero for the last year and love the system – however, please help us complete business flow and get out of generating estimates with word processing applications…..PLEASE, IN A HURRY, PLEASE!

November 3, 2013 at 3:39 am

Wow. Here’s an example of a company with a decent but not fully realized product that is getting VALUABLE real time feedback from their customers and potential customers and not doing anything with it for over 2 years! I am shopping for a complete bookkeeping solution with the ability to develop PROFESSIONAL estimates. Think back to when you created your software and app, and invest the same interest in improving your product, surely this is not as huge a task. Meanwhile you’ve lost another customer to Quickbooks, who seems to realize this is a must have for most.

November 11, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Shame on me for not looking into Xero when our Accountant suggested it to us. If I had of known that these 2 VERY basic ( Quotes & PO’s) accounting sections were not available, I would have renewed Quickbooks.

November 15, 2013 at 3:31 am

Hi I have read alot of the posting about quoting. What good is an accounting package if you have no jobs to invoice. When you are in a small business you do alot, i mean alot of quotes. Quotes take a lot of time to get right. If you do not win quotes then you do not need to use purchase orders. Having a simple click to convert a quote to an invoice saves so much time. Xero is great at making accounting easier, Please listen and do not rely on other companies to fill your missing features. thank you

November 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm

purchase orders, but not sales orders (quotes can interchangeable with sales orders)… ummmm ok. Didn’t you guys raise 150 million dollars a few months ago?

Maybe spending less money on marketing and more money on business financial tools would be a good idea. Quotes /Sales orders are essential.

Businesses don’t just buy products — they sell them!

Any update on time-line on this please?

Andrew Doe
November 21, 2013 at 7:21 am

Quotes, Quotes, Quotes- the lifeblood of any business is sales … come on Xero – It can’t be that hard, can it?

We are not going to leave Xero because you don’t have a decent quoting system – QuoteRoller is OK for now, But it is a major annoyance and clearly there are a lot of people who are annoyed – like me.

When will you make me smile?

J. J. Cunningham
November 27, 2013 at 2:11 am

I am adding more weight to the need for quotes.

Since we started using Xero, the system has gained customers and major funding but significant additions to the core feature set have been somewhat thin on the ground.

Aside from streamlining the mechanism for filing VAT, the Xero I am using today looks and feels like the product I signed up for in 2009. Yes, it’s useful, and yes, it’s reliable, so like Andrew above we’d be loathed to throw the towel in. But its shortcomings are starting to chafe.

We need quotes, we need despatch notes, and some rudimentary stock keeping would be nice. No thanks, we don’t want add-ons or third party solutions like QuoteRoller, because these go against the ethos of the centralised bookkeeping system we all bought into. And it’s not as though quotes, despatch notes and stock keeping are recent inventions.

By now you must surely have the money and the manpower to create a legion of unfailingly loyal customers overwhelmed with a sense of Xero’s growing value, but from reading the comments here you’re just making people feel impatient and even guilty for asking the same things over and over, year after year. The addition of Purchase Orders a short while back was welcome, but in reality merely highlighted the glacial speed at which these things get done.

Regards, JJ.

Wayne Archard
December 9, 2013 at 7:00 pm

All I can say is that I think what everyone is saying is valid, xero seem to have dropped the ball on this one. We are using JobsPlus for quoting which integrates with MYOB and had hoped xero would provide us with a more integrated solution, but alas this is not the case. I guess we will have to vote with our feet & stay put!

Rebecca Smart
December 11, 2013 at 2:08 am

Ditto, Quotes/Bookings are the vital stage 1 in the sales/revenue process for us, if we don’t have a fully integrated Bookings process within Xero in the very near future I would have to seriously consider moving. I am surpised that PO’s have been given priority – with out Sales we wont be raising many PO’s will we?

December 18, 2013 at 2:03 pm

So, now we have our PO’s (Thank you), how are you going with our Quotes?

December 29, 2013 at 10:48 am

3 years and running.. wowwwww wish i had that much time to develop a feature request. Why does it take so long to develop this ? You cannot serioulsy tell us that it takes 3 years to develop a new feature that is number 3 on the request list…. That means it takes 1 year to develop each request.

Sorry but for a company that turns over Millions that is just not acceptable.

I can see purchase orders are done, but that is not something most people on this blog post needs, its quotes.

From your comments Quotes is now on the table, so where is it up to, i am not willing to sign up unless this ESSENTIAL feature is implemented.

Surely you guys have an ETA, A project management Timeline ? For a company your size you must have milestones that you can share with us to tell us where it is up to and when its going to be finished.

January 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Happy New Year Xero Team! Checking back in to see when we can expect the release of the Quoting module. Please take the time to alert your customer base on when this long awaited customer request will become reality. The last we heard, it was staged for the end of year 2013. We’ll, 2013 has closed with a bang and your loyal customers are ready to book some big business for 2014, only we need the quote module to make our life more efficient. We have all waited very patiently by you, so please get back to us right away and let us know if we can expect during this month of January. BEST WISHES FOR 2014!

Scott Robinson
January 4, 2014 at 3:35 am

I had decided to move our business from Freshbooks to Xero… until I thought I should check that quoting in Xero is as good or better than Freshbooks.

It is the first thing I looked for – and you don’t seem to have it natively!

January 5, 2014 at 5:21 pm

This is a joke, Xero has messed up big time here. Why don’t you get off you butt and do this asap? We won’t be renewing our subscription if this isn’t sorted this month, it’s terrible that a seemingly cool company can mess this basic sort of thing up. QUOTES are vital you fools.

Andy Rowley
January 21, 2014 at 5:13 am

Sorry Xero. Just got everyone here used to your excellent package, got Paypal integrated, got Go-Cardless integerated and after all of that and only one month of usage, I’m also about to pull the plug and use an alternative.
Why? Same reason as everyone else. A complete lack of response over an issue raised more than three years ago.
Hopes given and then dashed.
Be honest Xero, come on, be completely honest here…. You have excellent add on providers for quotes, but this increases the monthly cost way beyond other providers who already include quoting systems.
It’s ludicrous that a professional and well presented package like yours has one very fundamental foundation missing… for three years! Even after voting, messages, responses…. I don’t think this is ever going to happen. I would wait after only using it for a month, but then I saw this thread. If it ain’t happened in the last three years, I wonder if it is ever likely to. And you guys won’t give a firm date.
Off to the review sites again I think.
Draft invoices won’t work for me. If a quote isn’t accepted, what happens with the invoice number? Too complicated. Must try harder. Bye….

Andrew Tokeley
January 23, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Hi everyone – I know this is frustrating and we want to deliver Quotes as soon as we can. The reality is that we have a lot to do and have to make tough decisions about what we work on. To be honest, the best place to hear the progress we are (or aren’t) making is on Community ( – this is a more central place to summarise things.

February 10, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Frustrating is not what this is Andrew….. It’s B.S. Go and have a look at when the 1st thread asking for Quotes started…. It’s not acceptable to make your customers wait this long for a basic feature!!!! I’m glad I only have to work with Xero for another 2 months :)

Elaine Mullen
February 12, 2014 at 6:50 pm

There is a way to get Quotes in Xero NOW. You create another “invoice” template called Quote and you process an invoice as a DRAFT. These can then act as your outstanding quotes and you can email a DRAFT using your QUOTE template. If the Quote is accepted then you just approve the DRAFT…simple! I think comments like those above are so narrow minded when you consider all of the great features Xero already has in comparison to others….I’ve been using Xero for 3 years now and love how it has morphed and continues to enhance (not just copy old school thinking) in much better ways than other so called cloud accounting solutions.

March 27, 2014 at 9:27 am

Elaine, i don’t think its about being Narrow minded, i think its about the expectation of a feature that should be there that’s never come to light. Yes theirs workarounds as you’ve said but this is not Quotes or a quoting system and its not job a job end to end cycle. Instead Xero seem to think its ok to recommend a partner – If i wanted to use a partner and therefor multiple vendors i would, i choose Xero because i diddnt want multiple vendors. Xero recently increased the fee too, not by much granted but even so increased without a fundamental feature being implemented and requested for over 3 years. Xero has features i’ll never use, it also has features upgraded\installed since i signed up i’ll never use. So for the moment i’m left doing my quotes through excel – offline – no synchronisation.

April 3, 2014 at 12:45 am

Xero, this thread started on September 2010. It is now April 2014 and you’re still unable to offer a basic quoting function? Seriously?

Please can someone on your team give us a better explanation than ‘we have more important things to work on.’ There has got to be another reason and maybe if you shared that with us we wouldn’t all be so livid that our requests have been sidelined for almost four years.

April 3, 2014 at 1:24 am

P.S. Is there a way to delete the ‘Due Date’ field in a draft invoice?

April 3, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Agreed Paul, it is ridiculous. I have recently finished a small business course, went through different accounting software. The lack of quoting feature came up as a discussion on xero, with our lecturer recommending Sassu, as it has more features and is cheaper (probably less marketing costs!!!). Thats 30 of us in one class, with most people pulling out of it because of a lack of quoting feature. There is a new cloud based MYOB system on its way which has leapfrogged current technology (ie xero sassu) which may be very good. Long story short, Xero will get left behind with their arrogance or incompetence in satisfying customer demands.

April 13, 2014 at 9:56 pm

We do definitely need Quoting guys. Why isn’t this number one on your list?
All, not some, businesses in construction or service industry need to quote.
All good to provide a way to draft a quote but it still sends a PDF labeled ‘Invoice’.
We switched to Xero on recommendation from book keeper and it has some great features but will head on back to MYOB if no updated by EOFY.
Like buying a car with one wheel missing!

April 19, 2014 at 12:39 pm

What Tha?? I recently signed up for a Xero Trial as I was just sick of MYOB’s Support (or lack there of). I’ve sent four different requests and they never get back so thought I’d sign up for a Xero Trial with the intent on moving over from MYOB Live Essentials which is a good affordable piece of software for small business, sure there are workarounds, but paying extra for a plugin, add-on or whatever for something that is included in other packages is a nice bit of BS. My main concern is it’s coming on 4 years and the community are crying out for it. I’m worried leaving crap only to go to crapper. Guess MYOB it is and if an Accountant keeps forcing Xero down my throat (cos they get some kind of kickback from Xero), I’ll goto another Accountant. Introduce quoting ASAP (give us an ETA even) and I’m sure you’ll keep your clients happy and get many new ones on board, as we don’t mind paying the extra, so long as we get the service.

May 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I just looked at this the other day, being relatively new to Xero, and found the ‘draft’ invoice scenario for quoting. I cant figure out how to add in a ‘scope of works’ that is included in the price. Nor can I see how we can upload our Terms & Conditions to go out with every invoice or quote. Would love this feature to be rolled out sooner rather than later. I’d use it every day and would save me time in having to use another program, save it, attach it & email it separately only to have to enter it as an invoice once it’s accepted. I’ve used Simpro before and all of these features are included in a low monthly price. As far as I can tell we are paying an exorbitant amount of money each month for a program that is not yet fully developed. Disappointing that, after what would appear to be 3 going on 4 years, this still has not been fixed.

May 13, 2014 at 9:38 am

Time to stop thinking about Accountants and starting helping the business owners… we pay the subscriptions, we need quotes not more reporting.

May 13, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Yes the ability to be able to do quote then turn it into an invoice would be a big plus