Connect Smart security advice for small businesses
The Connect Smart website launched this week in New Zealand, a collaboration between the NZ Government and other agencies and companies. The goal of the website is to help people keep themselves secure online.
Connect Smart and protect yourself online
Being secure online is important for everyone who uses the internet – in their personal life, at work and when out and about with their mobile device. Here are some statistics that Connect Smart has compiled from a New Zealand survey:
- 83% of people have experienced a cyber breach
- 22% have had their emails hacked
- 12% have had their credit card details misused
- 86% of people don’t regularly change their passwords
- 44% of Kiwis use less than three unique passwords
- 48% of people don’t have a PIN on their work phones
It’s easy to see how behaviour like this could cause issues for small businesses. A wealth of information is stored and transferred over email and work phones. Credit cards are regularly used to purchase products. Passwords are the main key to our digital lives. If any of these are compromised it can affect a business’s day to day operation, or even its long term viablility.
It’s often quite hard to give security advice to small businesses. There’s a wealth of information out there, some of which is really aimed at large companies with big budgets, and distilling it down to what what’s useful for small businesses can be difficult.
Connect Smart SME Toolkit and Cyber Security WOF
The Connect Smart team have put together a great SME Toolkit which I encourage you to check out.
The Cyber Security Warrant of Fitness is a checklist covering four areas:
- Assess the cyber security of your business
- Develop a cyber security policy for your business
- Establish an incident management plan
- Regularly review and update your network security systems
The first step of assessing the cyber security of your business is something you can quickly do to see how you compare and what you want to improve.
Read more about Company News