What is your distinctive competence?
What is it about your company and your product that makes you special? If you were to change strategy overnight, what’s the one thing that you wouldn’t change or lose sight of? And why should your customers buy from you and not from your competitors?
Answer these questions, and you’ll understand what your distinctive competence is – your unique ability to add value to your customers. This is what sets you apart from the crowd. It helps you to decide which meetings to attend, what projects are important and how you will best deliver your products and services. It’s your promise to your loyal customers.
Late last year I asked our team at Xero what matters to us. Some of the answers are below. Do you agree? Ask your team what matters most to them and let us know in the comments.
We’re design led
• We listen to our customers and understand their problems
• We focus on quality design and the best user experience (simple, smart, quick, progressive, useful)
• Design leads, but must be followed by strong accounting, smart business processes, quality software, helpful support
• Quality design and user experience can’t be copied or faked because it touches all parts of the business and product, macro to micro.
We’re on-time to market
• We release frequent updates to make things better
• We keep up with what people expect and need
• We focus on what customers want
• We release early and often
• We don’t lose focus on Xero being an accounting system for small businesses. We’re here to make money
• We’re always customer-focused
We’re top quality
• Xero is easy to use
• We’re constantly striving to deliver a high quality product
• Xero is an accounting system and we have to make sure we’re always doing the accounting right
• We have top design, BA, dev, QA, help, support
Read more about